I believe something is seriously wrong....

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'll try to keep this short. Last year March, I saw the campus NP for what I thought was anemia. My roommate had it apparently and suggested it to be a cause. I was very cold, feeling tired sometimes, and had lost 10-15 pounds in only a couple of months, going into the fall semester. Blood work came back "normal." Ferritin was 29.

That summer, I saw a NP for what I thought was migraines. She told me to just take OTC pain meds. I've been getting this eye pain for several years now, but that’s all it is – eye pain. It doesn’t affect my head. I also got prescribed H2 blockers for silent reflux. They didn’t do anything. I went through a bottle of those and 2 bottles of Tums that summer, but nothing worked. I chronically clear my throat.

That fall, I went to urgent care after 4 sleepless nights of a crawling sensation on my body. It was - and still is - like a pins-and-needles feeling but more spread out. Blood work came back normal and was told to lay off the caffeine. Funny thing is, I don't typically use caffeine. Anyway, I eventually got used to it.

2 months ago, I started really getting a feeling something was wrong. Overwhelming fatigue overcame me beginning in November. This is also when the brain fog set in. The pins-and-needles started getting painful shortly after this point, too. I made an appointment with a new doctor. I was so excited - this was it! The moment I find out what's wrong with me. Sadly, all she “diagnosed” me with was anxiety and PTSD. I drove to a nearby parking lot and cried while talking to my mom on the phone. I felt helpless, belittled, and unheard. How anyone can see someone for 15 minutes who’s in pain and send them away with such a degrading diagnosis that isn't even true is beyond me.

I saw a NP that day on campus too, who said the same thing, but only because I was stupid enough to trust her and tell her what the other doctor said. The nerve pain got as bad as it’s ever been after that terrible day. It was really noticeable and painful in my hands. They get really cold and sometimes very hot. New symptoms like tinnitus started appearing. Then, all of a sudden, it all went away, except for the symptoms I’ve had since October. What’s also noticeable is my gradual average resting heart rate had slowly climbed from August to February. It became alarmingly high, around 110-150. I wear a Fitbit. After that terrible day, it started declining a bit. But I also tested myself for POTS without a tilt-test table. I definitely have it, and I don’t need a moving table to figure that out. Another doctor said I had autonomic dysfunction. My blood pressure gets low, and so is my body temperature. I feel like everyone just thinks I’m begging for attention, but that’s not my intention at all. Almost half my hair has fallen out. They question me of being anorexic or bulimic, but I eat 2000 calories a day!

Please, what could be going on? I am not going to let anyone tell me that my intuition is wrong. I know my body more than anyone else, and I’ve heard horrifying stories of sexism all over the internet of women and their journeys through figuring out their diseases, particularly autoimmune diseases. I am part of the 4% of the white population with the homogeneous genes for MS. But something tells me it could also be Lupus. I have those genes, too. To my surprise, my 16 year old cousin has the exact same symptoms as me. So whatever it is, it’s hereditary. I’m working so hard surfing PubMed to find the answers for us both. It hurts to have doctors call me a hysterical female, but to do it to a 16 year old girl! I can't believe people so cruel exist. Thanks for any help….

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

First I'd like to say how sorry I am that you are going through these difficult times. 

I first got symptoms in 1973 and was treated the same way. Valium for stress was their  answer. I tried one and never could understand how I was supposed to work while using Valium. I never went back to that medical practice. 

I lived with my issues until 2001 and finally found a clinic in Southern California where I was taken seriously. 

I had to have a lot of tests and go on antibiotics and anti parasite drugs. I have SIBO...small intestine bacteria overgrowth. It has caused so much havoc I can't begin to even tell you. None of the common cures have worked long term. 

I have been told I have an auto immune disease. Doctors are not sure what comes first, but some say it starts with heredity. My older sister is also very sick. My two younger sisters have issues but less severe. 

I also lost weight back in 1975. I was ok until 1982 when I went below 100 pounds after my third child was born. Then I got chronic eye infections. Then in 1995 I started getting migraines. 

All of these symptoms seem unrelated but are all because of gut inflammation.

My advice is to research as much as possible. It's much better now with so much info on the net. Don't start following every whim. I got sicker trying some ideas. Pay close attention to what you eat. Just because it's natural or healthy doesn't mean it's right for you. 

I spent $500 copay to go for methane hydrogen test. Now you can order online for much cheaper. 

I believe things will get better as far as immune problems. I hope the tests get cheaper and faster and easier. 

My uncle just got his own stem cells reinjected and is off oxygen. I'm encouraged. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. That is such a long time to wait for a diagnosis! Today I fell over for the first time. I didn’t faint, but I can tell the POTS is getting worse too. Also found some old pics of me with the lupus butterfly rash. Could be something else thought I don’t know....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.