I binge, I drink and cant stop for a few days,

Posted , 8 users are following.

On the plus side I've finally accepted I have a drinking problem, I can go for a week or more without a drink but I will get the urge and if I have money I will cave and buy it but my binges, once I start I cant stop. Sometimes its good, well its always is to start with my mood is high and I'm happy, but the next day drinking my moods can take over and I can get angry and irritable, then switch again when everything is wonderful when my mood lifts, which is probably mostly my borderline personality nd depression but I dont know how to stop until ive worn myself out or run out of money. My partner is the most patient, loving person and I hate that Im causing him to stress all the time. It would be helpful to get some advice or even just to know someones going through the same thing!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Hello India and welcome. many have the same problems as you do and it will most likely get worse over time. you have not given much details yet and it would be great to know more about yourself; i.e. for how many years have you been binge drinking and how many units and how many days does it last? every month or every 3 months? hav eyou considering medication and speaking with your Gp and family? i wait to hear from you. regards Robin

• Edited

hi india,

i know what you mean about not being able to stop until you've worn yourself out or run out of money. i cant seem to stop myself now and i'm worried about it. except i'm not drinking...i'm smoking.

i used to drink pretty much like you but was able to stop. its unfortunate, but i replaced the alcohol with pot. so now i feel like i'm in a different kind of hell. what i want to advise you is to get help for your drinking ,but dont replace it with another addiction.

you can get a lot of help and support here at this forum. i'm seen many feel better and get better. best wishes to you

• Posted

I think its just helpful to know that im not the only one, well I smoke toodrink andtabs go hand in hand. Yeah I do think some people have addictive personalitys thats why I dont gamble not even a scratch card

How you doing now?

• Edited

i'd say i have an addictive personality. whether it's alcohol,weed,food or even shopping, sometimes cigarettes...i'm always looking for a fix.

trying to replace those habits with exercise. walking has helped me so much. now i only need to stick with it.

thank god i'm not into gambling. that's all i need!

• Edited

Hi India,

I've suffered from alcohol binges too. Everyone's story is different, but our sound at least a little similar. I too, can go weeks without alcohol, but then maybe I'll get a craving, or there's a party and I'll drink too much. I wake up the next day with a craving to keep going, this can last a day or even a week!

The best thing I did, was firstly admit I had an issue and sought some help - I now get counselling over the phone once a week (I'm in the UK and this was via our NHS). This was after the longest binge which was 8 days! Things went well for a while and I went over a month without a single drink.

Maybe I thought I was fixed and could drink again, but a week ago, I bought some alcohol on the way home and it turned into a 5 day binge. I get to the point where I've just had enough and am determined to stop. I didn't call my counsellor, but I wished I had.

The first couple of days I am often in a good mood and do things to entertain myself, but then afterwards, I feel horrible in the mornings, so I drink in a (stupid) attempt to feel better. Of course it never works at the end I always feel even worse!

Admitting you have a problem and getting help are the two most important steps! Good luck!

• Edited

wow thankyou for being so honest, how are you doing now? I know what you mean sometimes you just get the itch, I think its worse when its boiling outside because I love reading and drinking outside. Do you have a partner? Mine has gave me an ultimatum, had enough and I dont have anywhere to go, im scared but im having a drink because of that. Oh and I have, I also have bpd so I have a psyc and councillor,tried alco help but I just foudn it patronising but an amazing woman every week that I speak to

• Edited

Since my last post, things have changed, for the better! On this forum (thanks Joanna!), I found out about The Sinclair Method, which I started a month ago. It has a 78% success rate and I already feel I'm making progress although it normally takes 6-9 months to work properly. If you are going to try this route, you'll need to get your partner on board, because, counter-intuitively, you have to drink in order for it to work! The science really makes sense, so I would encourage you to have a look. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

No, I'm on my own, no partner, no kids and I live alone - it really enabled me to have these binges with very few consequences!

Wishing you the best and hope we can all get through this!

• Edited

What a great situation Romesh and you are coping well. I have recommended so many people to TSM and Joanna! 78% success rate says it all. Great feedback

• Edited

By reading your context, I've clearly understood that you have an binge drinking problem as most of the people have. But this binge drinking could literally takes away your peace, money and even creates some glitches in the relationships too. It is always better to avoid the drinking and start living an healthy life. This is my advise. But how can you stop drinking?

Well, I've one idea that mostly works when you do it with love and dedication aiming that you gonna leave drinking. Whenever you feel like drinking, just stop thinking about the alcohol and spend sometime time with your husband/kids if you have. this is my best advise. or else consult a doctor regarding this.

• Posted

Good advice but im good, I paint, garden, go on long walks with the doggo, do the cleaning, binge watch tv with my partner peter. Sometimes you just get the itch, especially when its sunny.

• Edited

you sound like my son. he struggled with alcohol til the day he died at 42 years . he started as a teen.always thought he could control it and he would swear he never got drunk. it would end up after time go into black outs and drink to toxic levels . never remembered what happened. sometimes wake in hospitals, sometime in jail and even worse if you could imagine

after many years health problems began to cause one problem after another. alcohol disease is a progressive disease like any other disease left untreated it will take a life. he suffered so much.

this disease takes a toll on the entire family . its like a tsunami that sweeps in and wipes out everything in its path. his life was miserable full of pain, depression , addiction, guilt and eventually from alcohol mental illness. i loved him so very much tried everything to help encourage him. but in the end alcohol took a young life and left a lifetime of pain behind. i would have given my own life if i could have saved him and given him freedom from the life of homelessness, jail, and worse. alcohol poisoning takes a toll on the body and it slowly took his health. then as death came too soon so unexpected .

he was so talented , bright and funny. i always held out hope til the end that he would survive this disease and have a normal life and family and live a alcohol free life.

i feel so guilty that i could not stop the tsunami . as a mother the loss of a child you never get over. its daily suffering. i know my son suffered so much worse every day . he lost his battle , death came without warning, to fast and he was alone. it was 2 days before he was found. in death he is finally at peace . so sad it breaks my heart. i would never write this to anyone if i didnt know that what happened to my son could be the consequences waiting for you if you cannot seek professional help.

• Edited

Im so sorry, reading your reply, I burst into tears. I cant even imagine. Please dont blame yourself once you get into a spiral noone can pull you out, my parents tear their hair out over me. When im good im me when im not im a useless selfish drunk. Your son was a little like me, im bright funny, life of the party but there are too any dark times, its hard even though I speak to my doc, councillor and psyc to actaully say what you actually feel, sometimes its awful, living in your head, kills you. My parents wanted the best for me, \As in school etc, but 6 months before gsces my depression got bad and has only got worse, I think its more difficult when you have promise, I was smart and sporty, used to swim for durham. Im so lost now. I cant imagine your pain since im not a parent but wow your a strong woman, and the fact that you can speak about, thankyou for your message

• Edited

oh sorry Moderator...my youtube post deleted . I totally forgot we cant post any links other than links on this forum.

• Posted

Hi India. I had been suffering for 26 years to the point that i was regularly binging on 90 units over 2-3 days and then stop for a short while until the next session with an average 140 units per week, seemed normal at the time. I made the decision to stop, not easy and learnt that via a counsellor some support to be 'detraumatised' from my childhood was needed, she described the process and i think you just have to try and believe it will work as its so hard to know WHY one binges, it just happens but in my case there are deeply seated reasons. Although i m waiting for the counselling to start just having spoken to the counsellor for 30 min was a great insight into how she could help me and i ve now not had a drink for 42 days. when i look back the 90 or so unit binge is pretty scary but became normal although having hypertension and some liver damage was also an incentive. I know exactly what its like, alcohol has a powerful grip and i was drinking wine out of pint glasses. I wish you well and this is a great community here for help

• Posted

Amazing 42 days sober Jamie. Good advice you are giving India. What an achievement you have achieved. Best of luck. regards Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.