I broke my 5th metatarsal approximately 4 weeks ago plus another bone in my foorlt and my ankle.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently into my 4th week of non weight bearing and it is really getting to me. I broke my 5th metatarsal bone and another bone in my foot and my ankle. I was put on codine phosphate and anti depression tablets. how long is this going to go on for.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry but I know how you feel. I was NWB for 4 weeks but my physician and I realized my 5th metatarsal stress fracture would heal faster with a pin so had surgery then was another 4 weeks NWB, 4 in walking boot then good to resume normal hiking and riding my horse and I was 67 at the time. Your accident sounds much worse so be patient and let it heal! Takes time. Very difficult!   
    • Posted

thankyou sandi. I think I'm getting myself worse as I have 5 children and I am normally very fit and healthy. I got my pot changed 2 days ago and there is not a lot of difference in my ankle compared to when I done it. the doctor I sèen wasnt the best.

• Posted

Broken feet are the worst, aren't they!? I fractured my 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsals 7 weeks ago and I'm going mad with boredom. I'm hoping my appointment at the fracture clinic this Friday will go well and I'll be allowed to walk normally without the boot or crutches, but I'm so despondent at the fact that it'll probably take another few weeks to fully recover. 

• Posted

I hope it goes ok for you at the hospital mate. and yes they are the worst it's the 1st time I have done anything like this and I cannot belive how much we take walking for granted. and even small tasks are unbelievable I. e making a cup.of tea etc. I'm only into my 4th week of breaking the bones in my foot and it seems like it will never get better.

• Posted

The first 4 weeks are the worst, honestly! I wasn't in much pain at all after that even though it's still exhausting and frustrating having to use crutches, so hopefully it'll be the same for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery from here on out!

• Posted

I promise it WILL get better! Bones DO heal however it takes a long time for feet since we walk on them. You all will look back on this one day. That said, non weight bearing is quite inconvenient and makes doing anything a complete nightmare! I do recommend a knee scooter which helps so much. Also bone stimulator if you can get your hands on one. Goid luck to you all!!
    • Posted

thanks sandi. i have never heard of a knee sooter. but I will defiantly have a look for 1.
    • Posted

Thank you! I had to have 2 screws and wire and that freaked me out a bit!! I will start PT soon, do you recommend any small exercises to do, to start strengthing my calf (on that side) I have noticed my muscle loss a bit.... And do you have a good recommendation for cleansers? I can't shower yet, because it is upstairs.... I'm just feeling so cooped up!! All from tripping on my kitchen tile in my UGG boots!! ;(

• Posted

hi jenny. I know it is easier to say than doing it but. if you have already had screws and wire put in your foot. you really need it to rest before you put it through any excerise of any sort. I'm into my 4th we of breaking bones in my foot and ankle. it was doing my head in from day 1. get a wheel chair from a local redcross and use it hun. I am 41 and this 4 weeks have been like a lift time. keep in touch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.