I broke my ankle and am now aloud to put pressure on it. How do i know when i went to far?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my ankle about 2 months ago and am now aloud to put pressure on it. They said i could start walking but i think i did a little to fast. I have a VERY high pain tollerence so i didnt notice it hurt till i couldnt walk without sharp pains running up my leg. I had surgery including putting in a plate and 8 screws. Its swelling up badly and im not sure what to do. should i just go back on the crustches and wait for it to pass? I cant tell if its just sore or i actually did something...i walk around all day without even thinking about it...can that do a lot of damage? would really love some help guys.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello I would elevate it and add ice. U should also use an ace bandage too wrap it up. But I would Also get it checked out just too be on the safe side. Who would want too go thru this again I know not me lol.
  • Posted

Use crutches you can easily manage it, do not leave crutches too soon,

I’m not telling you to not walk, NO AT ALL, but use the crutches to manage it. But certainly if they told you should walk, then you should do it & was told to not afraid... But I personally recommend not leaving the crutches too soon, I suggest walk by using both your legs and crutches... But you may leave crutches one by one...

• Posted

Good advice from previous posts. Ice it in the evening. Don't stop using crutches too soon. I am 3 months post surgery for badly broken ankle, Have a 'tightrope' across holding it together with screws. Went full weight bearing at 8 weeks in aircast boot for 2 weeks and now walk freely around the house. However always take one or both crutches when out mostly for steadying not weightbearing. Are you seeing a physio. 

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post surgery and just started walking  2 days ago.  I was told by my surgeon it will swell and he advised me to take contrast baths.  I use three buckets of water, one warm, one cold and hot.  10 minutes in the warm, 4 in hot, 1 in cold, then 4 hot, 1 cold, 4 hot, 1 cold, 4 hot and one cold. (Total 29 minutes).  I have done this once a day, toward the end of the day and it has helped.  I also put an ice wrap on my ankle whenever I can and have used one crutch if it is sore.  I am also going to Physical Therapy and the PT massages and manipulates the ankle to reduce the swelling.  I am a somewhat sore from walking and take Tylenol when needed.  If you continue to have the sharp pains, a phone call to your doctor may put you at ease.  It sounds like we both have the about the same injury.  I had a plate and 9 screws, breaking it on Oct. 28th.  

I know we have to be patient.  Having not walked for 8 weeks and all the metal in our ankles, I know we will have discomfort and lots of swelling.  

I am looking at that as a sign and get off my foot if I can and rest.  Good luck, this is a journey and we still have some traveling to do.  

• Posted

Hello, so when you went yo the doctor 8 weeks. You were able too walk just like that. I am so ready too walk but scared at the same time. I need too wear the boot more frequently around the house. However, the boot hurts the front part of my foot where I am feeling the sharp pains. Thanks for the encouragement and I know it's a long journey ahead and we have too be patient . Have a Merry X'mas.

• Posted

I have a plate and eleven screws. Frequently use your crutches, when feeling pain. Ice and elevate it at night and if you can, ice and elevate at work, on a break. See your doctor, if in doubt. Doctor will appreciate your concern. Can you use a knee scooter at home, to give it a total rest after work and through the night? Be careful.
  • Posted

RICE

REST

ICE

COMPRESSION

ELEVATION

• Posted

And sleep with the foot elevated all night.

I do agree with others that a GP check up and guidance would be worthwhile

Are you seeing a Physio?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.