I broke my wrist a couple of days ago i’m worried it’s going to be weaker in future

Posted , 4 users are following.

i broke my wrist 2 days ago & i'm feeling really fed up with myself 😦

0ff work for 4-6 weeks & worried it's going to be weaker after now?!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The actual break in a large bone will be stronger once it is healed - a callus forms around it and strengthens that bit. It depends a bit if any small bones were damaged - difficult to tell from what you say.

• Posted

thanks for tour response i have read that too i'm just worried at 51 & in my menopause my bones aren't as strong as they were 😦

it's my Ulna that's broken

• Posted

How did you break it? Classic would be tripping and falling forwards, putting out your hand to break your fall - all you break is your arm!

• Posted

Fell off a stool over reaching in a cupboard 😦

• Posted

Eileen is right in theory a break when it heals is stronger because of the build up of calcification

I would ask doctor to send you for a dexa scan and get your bloods done to check vitamin D levels, I didn't find out mine was critically low till after I fell and broke my hip and pelvis so best to do it now while your young enough to put some strength back into your bones

Do all the exercises they give you when it's healed as that builds stronger bones

• Posted

Silly billy!!!! Which does sound as if there was "reasonable force" involved. If the fracture clinic thinks there may not have been they will consider whether it may be a sign of low bone density and send you for a dexascan. So Alexandria is right - of they don't, ask if you can have one. Always best to know and know what you need to do - and it is perfectly possible to build your bone density with diet, exercise and a few supplements, long before you get to the stage of them wanting to put you on a bisphosphonate drug. Calcium and vit D and vit K2 is the place to start - keep the big guns for when you really need them!

• Posted

Thank you ladies

I've only just seen your replies x

Much appreciated! I'm so cross with myself & feel very low.

I've read your bones are stronger to start with but then return to normal I'm just concerned long term about weakness & it being easier to do in future ( although I won't chance the stool again!!!

So you think i have a good chance of regaining full strength then?!

• Posted

I would think so - my cousin broke her arm skiing in her late 50s, might even have been 60. She's like a streak of pumpwater - a perfect candidate for osteoporosis, size 4UK on a fat day!! And she is fine and still skiing at over 70.

You feel such an idiot don't you? But most accidents happen at home for silly reasons. Get yourself a proper folding step stool which will be far more stable as the feet are further apart and only use it with it in the right position for what you need to get at.

• Posted

Wow!! Good for her 😃

That's very reassuring thank you x

I think I'm just over thinking everything at the moment, I'm usually very positive about stuff.

Thanks so much for responding ....a& yes already have a set of steps just too stupid to use them! 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.