I can do it but it takes time

Posted , 3 users are following.

As some of you are aware I have been quite active on this site since I came out of hospital, I find it helps me learn about myself. Reading the posts on here and being able to relate gave me insight, being able to offer support gave me purpose. I have been less active today as my medication has been increased and I have started to build structure to my day. This has left me with less time to be on here and I must admit to feeling a bit of guilt. I feel for each and everyone of you, I wish I could reply to you all with words of encouragement and offer my friendship but I know I can't. So please accept this as my offer to you all to be friends, I wish you strength, courage and support. You are all amazing people who carry the invisible illness with you and face each day not knowing what it may bring. I will continue to read your posts and reply as often as I can, that is what friends are for is it not.

Find peace and strength for your journey, you are not alone.

David

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi David my daughter has just been discharged from hospital after a section 3 and she is soooo depressed sees no light at the end of the tunnel . I've told her in time the antu depressants will work and then things will seem better and she will be able to feel better but I have no experience of this its just what I'm hoping and praying will happen . You sound like u have a lot of experience of depression and other stuff really just looking for some advice as to if how she's feeling is how u feel when depressed or is it more . She's saying she just wants to die
    • Posted

Mary,

Both your daughter and you have my sympathy and support. While mental illness is so hard for the sufferer it also takes a massive toll on loved ones who feel so helpless. What you daughter needs right now is to feel understood but not pressured or looked down upon. She is broken at the moment both physically and mentally and she will also be institutionalised in a sense. The best help you can do now is let her know you are there and offer to listen, read of few posts on here and you will quickly get an idea of the common worries but getting her to open up and confide in you is important. Remember she does not need to hear 'pull yourself together' type things, she may not even know what needs pulling. She needs a friend, someone to let her know that even when it is dark someone is willing to sit in the dark place with her. She will want to rebuild but it's slow, the medication can take 2-8 weeks to take full effect and her doctor will probably change the dose every so often. Right now she needs you even if that means sitting watching tv all afternoon. Don't smother but smile, things like CBT, relaxation, mindfulness etc will help her and you could offer to do it with her. Ideally get her to post on here so she can see the amount of help there is from those that suffer the 'invisible illness'. I wish you courage and strength and offer you my friendship. I gather you have GP and CPN support use them and try to get your daughter to journal her feelings

Your friend

David

• Posted

Sorry to butt into this conversation David and Mary, but I know that long six weeks while waiting for the medication to take effect is such a hard time. But it certainly does take effect, please keep reassuring her, and I do know how very awful depression feels, tell her my heart goes to her. I've been in her shoes, and tell her please trust, I know each moment feels like forever, but the end of the awfulness will come.
    • Posted

Thankyou David I have been inn touch with her care worker abd explained how low she's feeling and he has arranged for someone tontalk to her and will arrange psychiatrist too but it doesxseem your pretty much left to your own devices x it's encouraging to heae it does get better as this seems along way away for my daughter at the moment I have shown her your responses hopefully something will stick in her mind and give her hope
    • Posted

Mary,

CBT is good, on Amazon you can get a dummies guide (the name is deceptive) and also workbooks and a journal. Just a thought that maybe it's something you and your daughter could do together

David

• Posted

Thanks I know cbt is something her care coordinator is hoping to

Put in place but she finds it difficult to talk to people but i will take a look thankyou

• Posted

Congratulations on moving on to the next stage of your life, David, I have really enjoyed your writing. You'd be a great counsellor, I reckon!
    • Posted

Jennifer,

Thank you for your kind words it means a lot to me. As for being a counsellor I wish I could, I wish I could spend more time helping people by being there to listen and offer encouragement. I find the support I get on here and offering support is very therapeutic

I offer you my friendship

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.