I can feel and see my screws on inner ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am only 9 weeks post op and I can already feel and see some of my screws on my outer ankle where the plate is. I have no swelling so I am assuming this is why I can see them. Anyone else feel theirs? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam, I'm six and a half months from my second surgery with a total of 26 bolts, nails and plates to reconstruct my ankle. I also have some major atrophy in my legs despite trying to exercise.

Yes, with every step I take I can feel all the hardware moving on my ankle. Extremely uncomfortable and at times still very painful.

Have had numerous x-rays and the orthopedic surgeons said that everything looks good.

I may need a third opinon since I'm in discomfort and pain.

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post op and have the same issue with two screws protruding under skin along the plate on the outside ankle. I do have a pocket of swelling at the base of the plate. The screws only bother me when I have the air cast inflated and partial weight bearing. I won't see my surgeon now until January 5th, 2017. Not sure what will be done

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post ORIF on a trimalleolar fracture. Just this afternoon I realized I can feel the plate on my outer ankle but no screws so far. But having scoured the Internet for useful information, I have read quite frequently that people do feel them.
  • Posted

I had a screw come out the instep.  it was,removed,in a short surgery. Hardware can be removed if healing is complete, although requires a surgery.  
  • Posted

I am 10 months out from surgery.. and yes I can feel the plate and many of the screws. I had too much swelling at 9 weeks to feel them so it sounds like you are doing good. Like someone else said if these become a problem down the road they can remove some of the hardware after you have completely healed. Mine are just there and are not bothering me so far so they can stay where they are. Talk to your Doc if you are concerned about it. He will be the only one that can make sure it is looking normal. Have a Merry Christmas and continue to heal well.
  • Posted

Hi yes I too felt the screw and I saw it.  I t was very painful.  I finally had it removed a year later
  • Posted

I am so grateful and thankful for this group. I believe that a second or even third opinon is OK. My last Orthopedic send me home with a Uber and a muscle relaxant that did not work.

I know the feeling of having all the hardware poking inside. It is terrible. Every step I take I can feel the hardware.

I do wish everyone a cozy Christmas with blankets and best healing wishes 🌲

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.