I can not use anyone of the three medications

Posted , 4 users are following.

When The doctor prescribed for me either ; Omnic , or Cardura, or Xatral, for my enlarged prostate ,my blood pressure goes up and I get chest pain.

I got to know that the opposite should happen ( I am taking medication for my blood pressure)

Someone told me that I might be sensitive to a component that exist in all of them

Please advise me what to do , especially the doctor thinks that they should be helpful, thanks 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Which version are you taking?

Cardura (doxazosin) is an alpha-adrenergic (AL-fa ad-ren-ER-jik) blockers. Doxazosin relaxes your veins and arteries so that blood can more easily pass through them. It also relaxes the muscles in the prostate and bladder neck, making it easier to urinate.

Cardura is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure), or to improve urination in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate).

Cardura XL, the extended-release form of this medicine, is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia and should not be used to treat hypertension.

• Posted

Basrow,

Omnic contains tamsulosin, the generic version of the brand Flomax.  In my country, we only get tamsulosin.  It is my understanding that this Omnic is an alpha-blocker.  I take blood pressure medicine (valsartan hctz).  When I took tamsulosin, I had to reduce my blood pressure medicine as it dropped my blood pressure too low.  Cardura and Xatral are similar medicines (alpha blockers), I believe.  I have never used them.  My advice as a patient (not a doctor) is that you talk to your doctors (especially the one who prescribed the blood pressure medicine) and ask why the increased chest pressure and chest pain.  

• Posted

My case is opposite to yours. My normal BP remains 120-130/60 even without medication in summers. I am a patient of Glaucoma also since last 2 yrs+ which is still not troublesome to me as my eye sight remains reasonable. However for BPH, I do consult Urologist  occasionally as I have to visit bathroom 3 to 4 times a night. As I learnt all the medicines for BPH can increase the eye pressure (IOP) and also bring my already low BP further down. Earlier (about 2yrs back) I tried Flomax with same results and I stopped it. Lastly I went to urologist a week back who prescribed Xatral LP 10 mg. Though I was apprehensive to use it but the Dr did want me to try it. Same thing happened after taking just a single tablet. Now the Doc advised me to reduce the dose to 5 mg which I have still not taken.

Any views/guidance from others in view of my above experience.

• Posted

A GP told me that I allergic to the material that compose the medicine and not the effective substance !
    • Posted

That is quite common. Ask your pharmacist to check the make up in other makers versions. Quite often they use different  fillers/binding agents. 
  • Posted

Urolift = Nightmare.

DO NOT DO IT!!!

My condition is WORSE than before the procedure. Now my new Urologist says I am faced with laser surgery to correct but i will have to self catherize DAILY for the REST of my life or scar tissue will reform.

DO NOT DO IT !!!

SAY NO TO UROLIFT

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.