I can see something white in my wisdom tooth socket?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my wisdom teeth removed 13 days ago, have been cleaning with a syringe and rinsing as usual. In my right socket, I can see something white really deep inside - my initial thought was that it was food so I naturally stuck my syringe over there. But no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't budge. So I then thought it was none. But, I have an awful taste in my mouth, especially around that area, like I do when there's food stuck. If it really is food in there, is it okay that I can't get it out? And what about if it's bone?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I meant to write bone, not none up there.
    • Posted

Is it painful? You don't mention pain. My first thought is nerve had been left uncovered but that would hurt like hell.

• Posted

If you experience pain the whilst could mean infection.mcalyour dentist to be sure . I hate to have teeth pulled. It could be the stitches. Also try to gargle with salt water and use hydrogen peroxide to keep the area clean and heel better kill germs. I'm surprised your weren't given antibiotics from the get go. 

take care .

• Posted

Hi Gina, I'm a bit concerned about this cleaning with a syringe. Did your dentist tell you to do that? It's a very unusual instruction. Normally the instruction after any dental extraction is to disturb the socket as little as possible while clotting takes place.

Apart from the fact that you say you have no pain, it sounds to me as if what you're describing is exposed bone, which has appeared because you've removed the clot with all the syringing. The only thing that mitigates agains this is the fact that you don't have any pain. Normally this condition (known as dry socket) is intensely painful. However, the nasty taste in your mouth could well be down to an infection. Bone isn't meant to be exposed and can quickly become infected.

Quite honestly, this sounds to me like a serious situation. If your dentist can't see you immediately I'd strongly advise you to go to A&E (ER if you're in the US). The last thing you want is an infection in your jaw bone.

• Posted

Actually my dentist gave me one as well, he said to use it to help me cleanse and remove debris, but not to stick it directly in or on my wisdom socket, that will irritate it. however its perfectly safe to chummy the area with water to help remove anything buts that may get stuck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.