I can't decide whether to quit chiropractics...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

At the start of this year, as part of a New Year's resolution, I decided to see a chiropractor to look at discomfort in my upper back and neck region. X-rays were done, and I agreed to continue appointments on a twice weekly basis to have adjustments from a very friendly and convincing chiropractor.

Bearing in mind the amount of controversy surrounding chiropractics and how effective they are, I've been keeping an open mind throughout this process for the past 4 months.

However, it's gotten to almost 30 appointments now on a twice weekly basis and although I would say I can definitely notice an improvement in reduction of pain, I do seem to have this constant discomfort and as my partner describes me, I still sound like a "bag of rocks."

My shoulders have this constant 'rolling sensation' in which you can hear them whenever I move my arms/circulate the joints. Furthermore, my neck continues to have discomfort and feel tension which leads to awful headaches, that seem to only be relieved by pain killers or a chiropractic adjustment.

I'm just dubious that chiropractics is actually doing enough - I can't see myself commiting to a lifetime of twice weekly chiropractics - at a cost of £90 a week, I've spent a lot of money. A lot more than I ever expected on this, and I can't see an end in sight?

I'm more than happy attending a chiropractor on a monthly basis to maintain optimal spine health, but 4 months in and I can't see much improvement in terms of having a strong back, shoulders and neck throughout each day.

Would be interested to hear all opinions. Thanks.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That is exactly the same experience I had with chiropractictioners. A bottomless pit of never-ending charges that didn't actually seem to achieve anything.

Instead, I went to an osteopath and a Bowen practitioner (separately). And got more result for far less money. Good Bowen practitioners will tell you that if they can't achieve at least some result after 3 sessions it may not be for you - you may need more, you may need the occasional session over a long time period if it is a chronic problem that is recurring. But it is NEVER 2x weekly for months. And it is often slightly cheaper anyway!

The other place I think money can be well spent for this sort of thing is a sports physiotherapist - they also do useful treatments. The sort you see them doing to tennis players that have then back on court a few minutes later! I get myofascial release from the local pain clinic and physios - but I don't live in the UK and here in German-speaking Europe mainstream medicine uses these techniques because they know they do work. 

• Posted

I pay a visit to the chiropractors when I need it.  In my experience, once or twice a week would be when my back is out and that might be just for a couple times the most.  After that it would be once a week or every two weeks, and the appointments should be further apart after each visit. Sometimes they might have you come every month or two for maintenance. I didn't realize that chiropractors still took x-rays.

i would be looking for another chiropractor.  Sounds like overkill to me.  Maybe some exercise to tighten muscles would be helpful.

• Posted

I dont know. I think God made us all just fine. I get here and there but all the time seems silly.if you have pain what about acuouncture to decrease the inflammation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.