I can't eat any roughage

Posted , 5 users are following.

If I eat fruit or vegetables such as beans, broccoli, popcorn, etc. I get cramping the next day or two days later and I'm in the bathroom for hours with cramps and excessive bowel movments.  It's like I take a laxative.  Then, I take an Imodium and get constipated and the cycle starts all over.  I don't have diarhhea, just normal stools.  I never make plans for mornings, for I never know when it's going to act up.  Usually it stops within five hours or less with Imodium.  Anyone else have this?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think that you may have irritable bowel syndrome.  See a nutritionist  or a   DR to confirm this.
  • Posted

Sounds like IBS.  Try a food diary to identify any other problem foods and avoid the foods you are currently reacting to.  See a doctor to confirm what you have.
  • Posted

Probiotics has freed my stomach cramps. Balance the good bacteria with yeast. Eating yogurt daily and taking probiotics. When I take antibiotics it kills all the good bacteria and yeast takes over and then I have taken nystatin one pill with each course of antibiotics and it prevents the loss of good bacteria in the gut. 

I stay away from greasy foods fried foods sugar and pop. Drink lots of water. It has gone away. I no longer have to know where every restroom is when I go out. 

It is horrible I admit but for some of us with IBS or the issue you mentioned it's as simple as changing a few things in your diet that may trigger cramping and constipation /diarrhea . 

• Posted

Thanks for everyone's advice.  Hope, I have probiotics in the fridge.  I must start taking them again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.