I can't even put into words how disappointed I am...

Posted , 5 users are following.

So after trying the 3rd lot of ppi's (now on a much higher dose) I'm now 2 weeks in and have had 3 days of feeling great. I had a little sore throat but I figured that would take a bit longer to heal. My horrendous tiredness and burning chest was pretty much at nothing. I thought I'd finally cracked it and was going to get some normality back in my life. Then it was my little girls birthday yesterday. We went to the circus, out for a meal and got her a cake. I did my best to stick to a reflux friendly diet but I had a tiny slice of cake because my 5 year old insisted I try it and had a meal which had a little bit more flavour to it then I've had recently. Today I've been exhausted, throat is on fire and feels almost swollen where it's so sore and my chest has burnt all day. I'm so disappointed. I could almost understand if I went mad eating all the wrong foods and drinking all the wrong drinks but I hardly touched anything bad. I can't believe I feel this bad after such a tiny bit of normality. Saying I'm gutted doesn't even begin to describe it. I really thought I'd found something that worked sad xx

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There's no such thing as a reflux friendly diet. In fact there's a lot of rubbish sold about good and bad foods and a lot of propagated myths.

We may feel burning from excess acid and if you identify any foods that cause that for you (trigger foods) you should avoid them.

Acid refluxing will cause inflammation in the oesophagus. If certain foods or drink pass over the inflamed area, you will feel it - in the same way as if you pour lemon juice on a cut. It will hurt but not harm.

Your PPIs if taken correctly will reduce acid to make reflux less dangerous and permit any inflammation to heal - which can take a few weeks.

But PPIs do not reduce reflux which you'll have to do yourself. Being a mechanical process, no drugs or diets will change that.

See the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk for methods of managing reflux.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm already trying everything recommended, a very good read though for all the other info. I don't do a reflux friendly diet as such but just avoid trigger foods. I seem to have 2 types of triggers. Ones that a) hurt immediately. I put this down to the food or drink hurting when it goes past the already sore parts of my throat and b) foods that seem to give me a reaction a couple of hours to a day after. I figured these are ones that cause more reflux or acid. Most of these cause problems when I wake up the next day-probably because stuff comes up at night after eating or drinking during the day. I'm already using a wedge pillow so not much I can do there. Any more height and I'd be sleeping stood up!

• Posted

I completely sympathise 😓

I'm in the exact same situation as you.

On my 3rd set of tablets too... and have had a very sore chest and throat today.

I'm so down about it, can't do my usual activities. Running which keeps me sane!

Best of luck to us all... keep us posted. X

• Posted

It takes about 4 weeks for benefits to start and you may need a much higher dose. I take 30mg Lanzoprozole as 15mg doesn't work for me 

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I'm not yet at 4 weeks so fingers crossed. I'm now on 30mg twice a day but they did say if that doesn't work I may need to have it a little higher again until it's under control then I can see if I can reduce it. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.