I can’t extend my arm fully what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I’ve not been able to straighten my arm fully and However much I try it, it will just not straighten and it’s stopping me from doing things I want to do it is giving me these shooting pains up my arm which hurt quite bad enough that I can cope with it though. I have tried many excersises from therapists on the internet but none seem to work I’ve tried putting a support bandage on but it makes the pain worse.  Should I see a doctor or is there anything else I could try?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like this has been a problem for a while, so it's not likely to get better on its own.  I would definitely get to a doctor, be prepared with a full history: when it started, any activities/events that may have preceded onset, started suddenly or gradually, what you have done and for how long, etc.  All of this will be important in determining a cause and resolution.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hmm.  You didn't say how this all started or how long it has been going on.  When you have tried things that haven't worked for you perhaps it is time to seek real medical treatment or perhaps you are going the right things but not for the length of time it would take to see improvement.  I always want to get better ASAP but that is unrealistic.  I start with the RICE plan.  Rest, Ice, Compression (but not too tight), and Elevation.  After a short while I switch from ice to heat (but not too hot).  Good luck.  It is a bummer not to be able to do things that you like.  

• Posted

About 3-4 years ago I joined a gymnastic class and my arm was hurting so bad I had to quit and the coaches were telling me to lock my arms but I couldn’t because my arm wouldn’t straighten and that’s when I realised that my arm won’t extend fully and I’ve left it ages and the pain isn’t as bad as it was except from when I go and do excersises in the gym. Don’t know how long it has been like that only started feeling pain when I started a gymnastics class
    • Posted

It sounds like you have lived with this for a number of years without going to a doctor.  What are the things that you want to be able to do but can not besides going to a gymnastics class?  Also when you say a "gymnastics" class what do you mean?  I remember when I was (much) younger going to gymnastics classes and they were tough.  Now I could never do the flips and work on the uneven parallel bars like I did.  Or do you mean various gym classes?  If so you could find aerobic classes that don't require using straight arms.  You can get a great workout in the advanced step class that I attend.  However, for a knowledgeable answer for you arm pain you should seek medical advise.  Good luck.     

• Posted

What I want to do is to do weights and start yoga classes but they seem to be hard and by gymnastics I meant flips and the uneven bars

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.