I can't face being turned down for PIP again.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I have to attend a face to face assessment for PIP this coming weekend and I don't think I can face being turned down for it again.

I lost my indefinite award of DLA back in 2016 but wasn't awarded PIP due to only getting 4 points out of 12.

I have multiple mental health conditions and I have been ill with them since the age of 16 and I am nearly 43.

I don't think PIP is designed for people with mental health problems where the symptoms connected to their illness can vary both over time and in their severity. My first assessment caused me great anxiety and I don't think I can go through it again for a second time especially as I have recently been for another benefits-related health assessment in the past month.

The worst thing is receiving a report back from the DWP written by someone who has never met you and has no clue how your illness affects you from day to day.

My anxiety at the moment is sky high due to worry and all I want to do is sleep.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

When you had the last decision on your previous PIP claim did you appeal the decision by first asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration? Then Tribunal if that failed? If you didn't was there any reason why?

Constantly re-apply after being refused will very often see another refusal, especially if you use the same evidence you previously used. You should always start the appeal route.

Lots of people claim PIP for mental health but it really depends on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. DLA was completely different to PIP and you can't compare the two.

You can have a disability but not qualify for PIP because if the descriptors don't apply to you then there's no points for an award.

Did you send in evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this and the onus is on you to make sure you send it.

Most people have face to face assessments and unfortunately you will need to attend. Do you have someone that can go with you? You will have to answer all the questions yourself but having someone there often helps.

About a week after the assessment, if you live in the UK then you can request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report. If you're not happy with the decision then you have 28 days from that date to request the MR.

Good luck.

• Posted

Yes I asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration but I didn't go to a tribunal. Looking back on it now my Mum thinks I should have done. My Mum will be coming with me and regarding the descriptors we know what they are because we have been receiving help from a guy at our local Mental Health Charity who helps with benefit claims and would if needs be attend a tribunal hearing with us for PIP.

Back when it was DLA he helped me to win it for a second time via a tribunal but he went on my behalf as I couldn't face it.

• Posted

I found Citizens Advice Bureau very helpful. They helped me get my DLA back when it was taken from me a long time ago and also helped me to get my PIP award.

Good luck

Sarah

• Posted

How did it go, hopefully it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

If your given the pip benefit will it be your first time to receive pip not dla

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.