I can't handle the pain from having abscess incision packed, what should I do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had an anal abscess incised and drained a few days ago. Now the incision has a wick removed and a new one packed every day. It is absolute agony and I just cant face it again today. I have been prescribed oxynorm for the pain and xanax to keep me calm during the procedure but they are not working as I get a big adrenaline rush before the procedure and it negates the effects of the medication. I don't know what to do, does anyone have any advice please?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Can you ask them to give you morphine. I have heard some people use this for short term pain relief. Not really what you want. I don't understand why they didn't send you for an MRI and give you a fistulotomy or place a seton rather than just drain the abscess. This is the most painful thing that ever happened to me. I had weeks of misery, but it does get better. I hope the doctor has some more options for you. Don't be shy tell them you can't do it. best wishes. 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, during the first re-dressing I had 2 of those morphine lolipops and they had no effect at all, I cancelled my appointment for dressing today as I was in such agony I couldnt even touch the incision. I have a panic attack even thinking about it. I lost control so much during the first redressing I had a spasm and kicked the nurse in the side of the face. It took 4 people to hold me down.
  • Posted

You need to ask for oramorph, it's stronger than the lollies, unfortunately I have had this problem for a long while, also it's quite important that you have it changed when they say due to infection. Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you, I am not sure how often I need this changed as I have had a different set of instructions from every doctor and nurse I have seen in the past week. One said it needs changing every 72 hours, one said 48 hours, one said 24, one said twice a day. One nurse told me it would have to be changed 4 times, another said 12 another said 10, it is difficult to know which to follow. I am considering having a bath in the morning and hope the wick falls out before the nurse calls and then half the pain will be gone, is this a bad idea?
  • Posted

I hope you have someone to give it a good clean first (not implying it is not, just mean you have to be careful of further infection) and then add plenty of salt to the water. Try the fistula colorectal group on facebook. you will find lots of support there. It's 2017. Sometimes I think it is still 1917. Sorry you have had such a hard time of it. 

• Posted

The salty bath is working great, it removes the dressing so I have it just before the nurse calls. The doctor gave me stronger xanax and naprosyn 500mg, the pain is considerably less with this combination, feeling much better but still a long way to go, thanks all for the advice and support
  • Posted

Hi mr Paul 

This is like horror I also face it from three month even after operation it will take time to cure and it will cure very slowly sometimes no pain make u very happy but next day pain disappointed you kindly be strong and it liquid food and green leaf to cure wound fast 

No need to worry doctor say u get ready in two weeks four weeks like this but that's not true it take sometimes so be strong it get ready 

• Posted

Hi all I can say is mine was changed every day. I really feel for you, the pain is horrific and people just don't understand.

• Posted

I have been getting great support from family, I wouldn't complain unless I had a real issue and they know this, they keep telling me they can see the pain from my facial expressions.

• Posted

I'm so glad that you are getting on a bit better, fingers crossed it continues and heal with speed 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.