I can’t hold in my urine

Posted , 3 users are following.

So this past week, I’ve been having trouble holding in my urine. I would have random urges to pee and when I do, I can barely hold it in, sometimes soiling my underwear. The pee can be in large amounts and small amounts too. It got worse today where the urge suddenly came and i couldn’t control it and it leaked out, soiling me in public (thank god it was dark out and i immediately went home). Why is this happening to me? I’m 19 years old and never had this problem before. If it helps, I’m also sexually active so I’m wondering if this is a UTI?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could help, but I have no idea why you are having that probem.  I am 69 years old, and I have that problem too, but it's because of my enlarged prostate.  At you age, I don't think you have an enlarged prostate.  If you are going to see a doctor, you would need to see a urologist.  A urologist, specializes in men's urinary problems.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hey man it sucks that you have to go through this at the age of 19. Did you notice this sudden urge to urinate develop over time, or was it a sudden episode that developed out of no where? Also do you drink a lot of caffeinated or alcoholic beverages, or consume spicy foods? as these things can irritate the bladder. However from the sounds of it, it seems like your external sphincter, the one responsible for voluntary urination, is not able to stay closed. This could be due to a neurological problem, called neurogenic bladder. A neurogenic bladder condition known as overactive bladder, is a condition where the bladder contracts, before it is filled completely, resulting in frequent urination and strong urge to urinate. Have you had any pelvic injuries or trauma? or any back injuries? As these injuries could damage nerves resulting in miscommunication between the sphincter and bladder. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.