I can't quit the last dose of venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on venlafaxine for 8 years now. I've tried to quit it several times but without luck. It is possible for me to go down to 10 mg venlafaxine a day without any huge problems, but when I quit the last 10 mg my system goes crazy. My anxiety increases a lot, and almost every aspect of life starts to be very difficult for me, because my thoughts and anxiety are constantly chasing me. What might be the reason the huge differences between the very low dose (10 mg) and no venlafaxine? And can I do anything about it that might help me quitting the last dose venlafaxine?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was on this drug for 15 years.  Tapered off over a period of about 14 months.  The last 10mg is indeed difficult. I tapered off the last 10 mg. over about a 3 month period. Had the extended release capsules with little beads.  1 bead=1 mg in my dosage.  Once I was down to 10 mg, I removed 1 bead per week from my dosage.  So week 1, took 9 beads all week, 2nd week, took 8 beads all week, 3rd week, took 7 all week etc.  When I got down to the very last 1 mg bead, I took it for 3 weeks before discontinuing entirely.  You will still feel some anxiety for a couple of months after!  Omega 3's seem to help.  You may feel racing heart beat in AM or PM but that gradually dissipates.  I have been Ven-free (and any other prescription drugs) for 30 months.  Not easy, but it can be done.  Hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've tried omega 3 and it didn't seem to help me.

• Posted

I guess my point was more that in my experience you can't just go from 10mg to 0 mg.  That each mg of the 10 requires a taper as well. Especially if you have taken for a long time.  Take care and good luck! 

• Posted

Oh dear , that's a shame . 10 mg you say. Could it be your anxiety about stopping completely that is making you anxious, maybe ? Does that make sense to you ? Just a thought I have, that it may be the reason. You'll probably already know as I do, that if you are anxious about something then sometimes, you can start to worry about it and then you start to panic about what you are going to do, ie. stopping the tablets. Then get stuck in a cycle of anxiety? As I said this is just a thought. Seeing the doctor about it is best option.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I was not anxious about stopping completely, so i don't think that's the reason. 

• Posted

Possibly you dont realise it ? I was behaving and talking, to people totally out of character.. Getting depressed etc. But didnt realise it until depression took over and I thought..how can I be depressed..when I'm taking anti depressants ? Then I realised, after 2 weeks it had to be the change from 1 to the other type of tablet. Same happened when I forgot to take any. Hope you find a solution and are able quit them Best wishes

• Posted

If I've been anxious when I quit venlafaxine it must be in an unconscious level, but I still don't think that's the reason why it so difficult. I feel like it has something to do with my nervous system but I don't know how it works.  

• Posted

Could be, i would definately go and see Doctor .That's reason I mentioned that I did't realise, consciously , what I was doing when A) Id forgotten to take tablets and B) being given a different tablet. Honestly, I had not a clue I was acting erratically, talking nonsense etc.. Until it was either pointed out to me or I noticed myself that I was depressed and shouldnt be if on the Tablets. Please try to get back to Doctor and have a talk about it 😊 cant do any harm . Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.