I can't return to work

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello, two weeks ago I got signed off work due to anxiety and panic attacks but I'm due back tomorrow. I know I can't avoid work forever but I can't even bare the thought of going back right now. I'm so worried that if I go back to the doctors they think I'm doing it just to get of work. I'm so angry at myself, it's ruining my life, I was always confident and happy but now I can't even leave the house. I sit in silence and when my partner gets frustrated at me because I can't tell him what it feels like, it's not that I don't want to go to work, I physically feel like I can't. I feel like I'm going crazy. Do I go to the doctors? Do you think I should go back to work and just try and keep strong?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi dawn,

I was very similar to you last year and had never had any time off work for 10 yrs but this illness was so debilitating I just couldn't, I made the decision to focus on my health and get better so I could eventually get back to myself, take this time to get better and don't rush into work, if you don't feel ready. good luck

• Posted

I think you should try it for a couple of days and test the waters a little. Deep breathe while you're there to keep calm. Do you have any trusted friends at work? If yes, then I would confide in them or have them talk to you about their life, so you won't overly focus on yourself. If this is a new line of work try to interact with one of the friendliest person there (I know this will be hard to determine). After the first day evaluate it and then see if you wanna take more time off.

Its going to be hard, really hard. But just try it. Every time I go to work I want to leave immediately. There are 3 people who I can confide in at work and one of them has anxiety too so were on the same boat. Another one understands what I'm going through because her sister has anxiety and panic attacks. Just know you're not alone.

Talk to your partner and say "its been a while since I've been to work, but can you please send me encouraging words just to get through this first day." I'm not sure how understanding your partner is, so idk how he'll take this.

*hugs*

• Posted

Concentrateon yourself dawn if your not ready then your not ready no one can force you to be I loved my job and got put on the sick for four weeks but I could not return at all so I had to leave it's a horrible mental illness feeling the way we do concrete on yourself and do what's best for you
    • Posted

Hey girl! So just wondering if you left work did you doctor write you a note saying you had to leave for medical reasons? Were you able to get E.I? I'm in the same bot right now sad

• Posted

Will the doctors be willing to give me some more time off work do you think? I feel rude and silly to even ask, but I feel as though it I could spend just a little bit longer trying come to terms and overcome this anxiety or to even be able to deal with it.
    • Posted

yes they will the first port of call is your local GP.

if you really feel you cannot physically go back into work tomotrrow I advise you to go see your local Dr immediatley and get more time off work.

Your local Dr is not an expert in mental health issues but this is by far your first and most vital port of call.

he should sign you off to give you the extra time you need and i would aslo be asking for a referral to a local mental health porfessional for an assesment as this will go a long way if it actually comes to the point you are just not capable of returning to work.

mental health is a disability in the UK , i am not sure about other countries outside of the UK.

But i actually would not advise you to return to work as it sounds like its really going to overwhlem you.

You are amongst many new freinds ans comrades in here and what is the most important thing is to find your way and what is right and works for you.

But in my humble opinion i tend to feel through the lines of your writing that you need to go back to your GP and be given more time off work.

I may be wrong.

But i feel like this is what is right for you.

Anxiety is serious and can cause so many ongoing problems , its important to get to the root cause and to gain an understanding of how you persoanlly are going to work with living with this dibilitating illness that cften paralizes our mind , body n souls.

We are here for you at any time and want u to hold onto the hope and desire we all hold for each other to really get well and live a fulfilling and meaningful life.

But right now you need support and it takes you to do these simple steps to get things working in your favor to get all the care and support in place to help you find your way in living with what we all understand in here Anxiety

Hugs, Peace of Mind - Calmness all be yours tonight

and never be alone with it

ever

PJ

• Posted

I know how you are feeling.. it takes every thing I have in me to go to work everyday. I was off for about 7 days and the first day back was intense.. every day sinCe has been intense.. I have panic attacks at work sometimes, had one today as a matter of fact..I work at a psychiatric facility and so today my attack was in front of the psychitrist that works my unit.. I was so embarassed.. she gave me some words of wisdom and I am seeing a psychitrist she recommended in about 15 minutes.. I hope I find some relief.. it's really easy for someone to say yes, stay strong and go back to work if they aren't living in our shoes.. I want to stay home every day and just lay in my bed.. if you don't think you are ready then maybe you should go back to the doctor.. let us know what happens, I'm hear if you need to talk
  • Posted

Hi I see the post was a long time ago hope yr feeling better what did you do ? As I'm going through same thing now xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.