I can't sleep

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm doing okish ,cutting down .nearly dry but............I'm so used to being sh*t faced when I go to bed and falling asleep straight away .Now when I go to be sober I cant sleep .I went to bed at 11pm last night and was still awake at 2 am. I dont want to ask the doc for sleeping tablets just yet bit may have to if this carries on as I'm knackered.Any ideas please?I had three hours sleep last night

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, taper off your alcohol slowly to allow you body to adjust. The alcohol dulls the brain, so it speeds up the system to compensate.

I fyou come off alcohol too quickly, the brain is now free of the dullness of alcohol an staarts racing. I tneeds time to adjust back to normal speed without the alcohol. Don't take tablets, they really don't help. Either taper off your drinkng slowly or be prepared for a couple of weeks of sleepless nights until your brain adjusts.

• Posted

Sleeping tablets do help me, otherwise I would be awake 24/7. Without them I've spent many a night without any sleep, even stopping going to bed because it wasn't worth it.

At least with tablets on a good night I might get 3/4 hours sleep. The alternative would be drinking alcohol. It's well known that alcohol sleep is nowhere near the same quality of REM sleep needed for the body to function properly.

Even after stopping drinking, it can take up to 12 months for the body to adjust to a normal sleep pattern after drinking alcohol to induce sleep. I see nothing wrong in asking your dr for a two week course of tablets and reducing the dosage or taking them on alternative nights during the second week to help the body get back to normal sleep. Taken for a short period should not lead to addiction.

• Posted

You will find a far more normal sleep pattern when your body gets used to less alcohol. Alcohol actually prevents you getting decent quality sleep. You need REM sleep and you don't get enough when drinking excessive amounts. Try to stick it out for a while. If you need help, in the form of pills, see your GP, but this is likely to be a temporary things only.
  • Posted

Thanks all

I had two cans of Coors light last night and got 4 hours sleep.Im seeing my Doc on Tuesdday for Bood Pressure review so i will discuss it then.As I read some where else,if the only problem I have is lack of sleep it aint that bad. The other thing Ive noticed is that I want to smoke more now. I used to have a few ciggies after a couple of cans, this week Ive wanted to smole while having soft drinks.Any one else had this ?

• Posted

Yes often! I've had no alcohol for 22 days now, but I've smoked an awful lot more. Normally i wouldn't have a smoke till lunchtime, couple in the afternoon and more at night as my husband smokes too.

as regards sleep when I first asked my dr for NITRAZAPAM he wouldn't prescribe them, gave me a leaflet on all the tips and things to avoid, don't drink anything with caffeine after 7pm, ideally not smoke just before going up to bed. Nothing made any difference. He also came out with the most unhelpful comment "no one ever dies from lack of sleep" I went back two weeks later and said just put up with it for a couple of weeks.. When there was still no difference I said well I may as well continue drinking then (this was last year) but he very reluctantly gave me 28 tablets to take when required. The first week they worked, but your body then needs more to get the same effect. I took two the other night but I ended up with no sleep at all so they didn't help much.

what does help sometimes is to download a sleep app on my iPad which turns off automatically after 40 mins. There are loads of different ones to choose from. I find the sound of the sea very soothing, others have someone talking you through relaxation techniques designed to induce sleep.

Drinking alcohol provides only a very temporary sleep as Paul above has described. The best is REM which is a natural sleep. I've drunk a couple of bottles of wine, gone to sleep straight away then woken up hungover, sick and tired and also wide awake. There again you'll find you need more and more alcohol to get the initial affect. Don't bother with over the counter sleeping aids as all they do is make you slightly drowsy as they are actually antihistamines. Only you know if lack of sleep is affecting your life. For me the worst thing I can do is fall asleep watching tv even though there's something I particularly want to watch, as by the time I've got into bed I'm wide awake.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.