I can't sleep even though I'm taking Zopiclone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

Okay so I've been struggling to sleep for a long while now. I went to the doctors and and my GP informed me that I have Insomnia. so she prescribed me Zopiclone. so far I've taken 2 but they haven't really kicked in as I still have trouble falling alseep and I keep waking up i the middle of the night overthinking. I'm constantly stressed out and I suffer from anxiety which I was given Diazepam for.

My job stresses me out to the point where i feel like i have control over myself whatsoever! I just want a good nights sleep thats's all.

I need help please! (I'm only 19 soon to be 20 I shouldn't have to be going through all thissad )

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zoya, so sorry you have been suffering insomnia. I have it too and its awful. I must say that i am surprised your GP has prescribed this for you as you are so young. Trust me, this medication is for short term only. Have you asked to be referred for CBT therapy to help your anxiety? I have been taking zoplicone on and off for 2 years,3.75mg. They can make you feel terrible the next day and just as tired. I hope you feel better soon 
    • Posted

Thank you so much Jackie. I was very surprised too when my GP prescribed me Zopiclone as I am young as she gave me 7.5mg of it and said if it gets addictive, take it in small doses. I've not got addictive to it but its not helping the insomnia. I haven't been sleepy, drowsy or had any side effects from the medication, which doesn't help me in any way.

I haven't been reffered to the CBT therapy as my GP had told me to do other things like do something I enjoy more etc, to improve the anxiety. I hate feeling like this cause it really upsets me. I don't even remember the last time I was even happysad

• Posted

Aah, maybe its your job making you unhappy? If you know what the problem is you are halfway there. All i can tell you is that sleeping tabs are not a long term solution. I dont think they are addictive, if you take them for too long, they simply stop working as your body gets used to them. You say they are not working for you anyway, so maybe you should seek a different path. My doc prescribed anti depressants and they helped me cope with it a bit better. X
    • Posted

Hi Zoya,

I'm the same age as you and was originally on 3.75mg. But I moved up to 7.5mg in addition to Mirtazapine 30mg (an anti-depressant). I only take the zopiclone occasionally as I'm well aware of its addictive properties.

I'm really surprised that a dose of 7.5mg and Dizapam hasn't helped you. I'm guessing your anxiety and the stress from your job are preventing you from a good night's sleep. I would suggest CBT and a discussion with your doctor about the inefficiency of the medication.

Simple lifestyle changes can help get a better night's sleep. Like regular exercise and avoiding caffeine.

I wish you all the best for the future.

• Posted

Your absolutely right! i have noticed that my job is the main reason behind why im so unhappy. Honeslty cause of this job, my anxiety started, I've been stressed out ever since...this job has constantly been on my mind! I'm not as social as i used like im not interested in many things as i used to be!

My sleeping patterns are not good at all i only get 4-5 hrs per night of slepe or even less sometimes. The medication that im taking now isnt really working so I've booked an apopintment with my GP next week to find an alternative or different route to my sleeping problems. x rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Ozram,

Thank you for your advice. a few people have told me about considering CBT and i think its a route i might take as the Diazepam of Zopiclone neither have helped. I'm always tired and its mainly my job stressing me out.

I undertsand now that my lifestyle definitely needs changing as I want to be happy and stress freesmile x

• Posted

Hi Zoya,

I know how debilitating insomnia and anxiety can be. It's a sickening feeling lying in bed all night, staring at the ceiling. Even though your eyes are heavy with fatigue you just can't fall asleep!

The key is a healthy lifestyle combined with good sleep hygiene and the occasional medication doesn't hurt.

CBT really does help, it's always useful to talk about our problems, especially to someone who will just listen and not judge.

All the best in being happy! I really hope things work out for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much Ozram!

Dealing with Insomnia is hard but I guess its life and I should deal with it in a positive way. But sometimes it gets really hard cause I wanna soemone close how I feel but then not everyone helps or cares; Instead they judge.

So i think CBT may be my only option at the moment. I will definitly give it a try and so how I feel. I really do hope it helps cause I just want to gwt my life back on track and be happy! But again thanks for your advicesmile x

• Posted

same as me zoya, zopiclone has NO effect whatsoever..why, i dont know, but in my opinion it is bl00dy useless, and the quack will not prescribe an alternative...I would get off to sleeep quicker by watching bbc news !!!, cheers, howard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.