I can’t smell I can’t breathe!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Okay so I’m 18 & I’ve been having allergies ever since I was little. I know I’m allergic to almost everything (wood, carpet,dogs, etc). & my allergies isn’t bad. All I get is tuning/stuffy nose.then I just get some of that minty cream (sorry forgot the name but it’s strong like ben gay) that help open my nostrils when it get congested & I also have the spray I put up my nose that’s prescribed by the doctor. So all that being said whenever there was an issue with my nose I use the spray, minty cream on, or I just wait for my nose to clear up. But for some odd reason it’s like my nose is immune to it. Like my nose won’t even be congested & I can’t smell or breathe through it. I try putting spray up there but that only help with congestion but nose doesn’t be congested. Like the top of my nose throbbing a little. Nose feel clear but I can’t breathe. Feel like somebody took there fingers & plugged my nose. My head hurt I think from it. My ears feel plugged (yes I clean my ears often) & this just been going on for months now (MORE THAN 4months). So does anyone have a clue what may be wrong? Have you experienced this yourself? Is it a serious issue? help me out here it feel like I’m suffercating 😭

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Using decongestants regularly can cause the nose to be more bunged up unfortunately. There's a name for it, can't recall it. I use Olbas Oil and have a diffuser in the bedroom and put a couple of drops of essential oil in it, menthol, eucalyptus, helps with breathing. I went through summer exams as a teenager, driven daft with hay fever and allergies so feel for you.

• Posted

My head can feel like a concrete block is inside, pushing to get out. Have you been to a doctor yet to get it checked out for allergies, infections with the newer symptoms you have? I was skin tested a list of allergies showed up. Including cat and dog, pollen (trees and grass). The doctor I saw told me to avoid regular use decongestant sprays as it works temporarily then comes back worse than before. It's the tissue inside the nose swelling up reacting to whatever the allergen is. It's not very pleasant. If you aren't getting a nasty discharge from your nose, not likely to be an infection, but as well to get checked, to rule out an inner ear infection. I have neuralgia and that cause pain. Not saying it's what you might have but a problem or a blockage in one place can cause pain or discomfort in another place. Hope you can get some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.