I can't stop eating. HELP!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm not perimenopausal anymore I'm there.  I just turned 50 last month and it's been tough.  Everything you ladies have experienced I'm experiencing. The crying, worry, never looking good in anything, not wanting to do anything ever, but my biggest problem is that I eat everything in sight.  It's like I'm totally out of control.  Has anyone tried diet pills?  Is there help for me?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

OMG me too! I liken it to being pregnant but without the baby. I hate myself. Every night I go to bed disgusted with how much I've eaten during the day and bow to start a diet next day and then it starts all over again. I also seem to only crave food that's bad for me. I know I'll hate myself later but can't stop myself. Everything tastes so good!! I'm quite tall so am just about getting away with it at the moment but am terrified of what I'll turn into if I don't stop. My clothes are tight... Especially my knickers!

Sorry I don't have an answer for you or I would be using it myself but please think very carefully about diet pills - I don't think they are the answer. I'm trying to reason that this is just another season of life and at least if I'm fat the wrinkles won't be so pronounced 😉

Big hugs

Anita xx

• Posted

Hi there - hooray I'm not on my own ! Food is all I think about, always stuffing my face - I'm in surgical menopause and always trying to justify overeating like Ive been through a rough time, I deserve it, one more packet of biscuits wont hurt, my favourite thing at the moment is those big bags ( family size ) of cheesy nibbles and trust me the whole bag disappears ! I have a crafty plan and wait till hubby's in bed so he can't see me being a pig then I have my binges and then like you I'm completley disgusted with myself and promise to be good tomorrow but tomorrow never comes. My stomach is huge then I think there's something wrong with me and the anxiety kicks in. My advice would be don't touch diet pills just stick to healthy eating like me ha ha. !!!! Let's be honest it's about healthy eating and exercise that's the truth but doing it is another thing entirely when you feel so low about yourself anyway, it's so hard all of it.😉
  • Posted

You lucky, lucky girl - 50 and you're THERE! I'm 54 (and a half!), Think I've been in Peri for at least 10yrs(!) - and its only this month that I've FINALLY had my first disrupted cycle....only 12 more of them and I can say i'm THERE too:-) !

What is it with us lot and binge-eating?? Mine got to such a point, I made an impulsive decision to join Slimming World! Think it was reading about all those people who have lost half their body weight doing the diet......and 3wks later I've only managed to lose 4.5lb!!!

No one said it'd be easy and yes, I too wanted to lose the 5-7lb a week just like the young chicks are(!!), but there's a massive difference between us - they're losing post-pregnancy weight, and I'm bloody old, fat, Peri, and i have my own fat self to blame for eating like choc/crisps are going out of fashion!!

I knew it'd be hard, and have to say I feel a lot better for not eating so much cr*p. Plus someone said at weigh-in: even at this rate i'd lose a stone by week 10. That can't soon enough, but at least it sounds achieveable.

So what I'm trying to say is try to think of this as a marathon journey rather than a sprint and diet pills just ain't gonna do it. Let's face it, if there were any safe, proven pills available by now, we'd all be slim already! Just read yesterday of a young girl buying gear (efferdine??spl?) On eBay that killed her at 19.....I rest my case.

You've reached such a milestone - the real start of the rest of your life - so how about see what you can do for YOU now. Don't we deserve it??

If you're not in the UK - or are in the Outer Hebrides! - there's always slimming clubs to join on-line. I just feel now that I'd better get a grip now before I can't walk!!

Positive Thinking Kiddo. But for me nothing works better than trying on last Summer's clothes in front of a wall of mirrors..it wasn't pretty!!!

Sx

• Posted

So true Shaznay.  I live in Birmingham Alabama and there is all kinds of things to do for exercise, in fact I love to exercise but can't seem to make myself as much as I need to.  You know eating is 80 percent of the weight loss process exercise is only 20.  Every morning I say the same thing, "Lord help me to just not eat at night and leave the junk food off, then I think I can lose weight and feel better", then every night I go to bed so full I could throw up.  Somethings got to give though.  I like being a part of this group, I think having someone to talk to is helping me alreadysmile
  • Posted

I've already eaten myself several times!!!!😩..... Even when I feel poorly I never ever lose my appetite! 😡xx
  • Posted

Wish I had an answer to this , I am 50 and peri ,well think I am not had bloods to confirm this but seem to have 99.9%of the symptoms ! I too eat and then feel guilty about the rubbish I have eaten ,seem addicted to sweet stuff and carbs think a lot of this is due to the fact I suffer from insomnia and this is the bodies way of trying to refuel to stay awake ! Definitely do not think diet pills are the answer though ! Do you exercise ? I do a lot of walking with my dog ! My weight can go up and down quite dramatically depending on the time of the month ,anyway wish we could wave a magic wand and make some of these horrible symptoms disappear ! 
  • Posted

Hi Scramela

I would never do diet pills thats not the way to lose weight. You don't know whats in those diet pills if you do them. The best way to lose weight is just walk thats the most healthiest way of losing weight. Try to cut down on what you are eating. I use to eat everything in sight and I don't any more. 

Keep a journal of you are eating and talk to a dietian about your eating habbits and how you can lose wight the healthy way with out taking diet pills. 

Please do me that favor because diet pills can make a person really sick so please just exercise and eat right and talk to a dietian about stuff you should be eating. 

• Posted

Sorry girls, I haven't had the chance to sit down and jump back in to the discussion.  Your right Susan, I've had a personal trainer off and on for the past 20 years.  Up until about 5 years ago the pattern was lose what I wanted then quit because of money or time, but I always lost.  Now, I still go two days a week but can't seem to make myself walk daily anymore.  I just want a magic pill even though I know there's not one.  I think deep down that one day something will take me back to the way it was when I was in my 30's with all that energy.  I know that time is gone forever, I just can't get over how much my body, looks and energy level has changed sad

• Posted

Please do not feel so bad as you age your body changes. You can get that energy back talk to your doctor make sure your thyroid is under control because low thyroid can cause tiredness weight gain also check your iron levels. Are you on progeterone pills that could have made you gain weight. 

It could be that too. 

Please do not feel so bad you can do it just go those stuff checked also vitbs will give you energy maybe you need to take a vitamin b 6 or 12 to help with your energy. 

Please just because you have some weight issues and your energy is down its not the end of the world cheer up put a smile on your face and tell your self you look good. 

• Posted

I haven't thought of that.  I do take thyroid medicine and it probably needs increased.  That won't do miracles but it should make a difference.cheesygrin
    • Posted

Yes because sometimes when you are in menopause the thyroid can either go to being hypothyroidism, now with me my thyroid level went to being almost hyperthyroidism because it was at a .50 a .40 would mean I am hyperthyroidism. That can make you tired to and make you lose a lot of weight like it did with my. Also have you vitd checked that could have an issue on tiredness too. Go see a doctor and do not worry about your weight. Just tell yourself that your body is changing and you are not 30 anymore as we age we all gain some weight so just be happy with what you got in life. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.