I Canceled My Cystoscopy For Fear

Posted , 13 users are following.

I passed out during a urodynamic study yesterday.  I found the prep extremely painful, and not different than what I expect the prep for the cystoscopy will be.    I then  canceled my cystoscopy which was schedled for next Wednesday.   The doctor offered me a valium to relax me for the cystoscopy.    I see so many conflicting stories here about pain and no pain.  Am I correct that those of you who experienced most pain and discomfort did not use anesthesia?   Is it common for doctors to do this procedure with anesthesia, either general or local?   My uroligist isn't offering me the option of anesthesia.   I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not this is common with out without anesthesia and if I should seek out a new urologist.  

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i remember an appointment with the consultant 2 weeks prior to me getting my cystoscopy and him explaining and showing me what the procedure involved.

He showed me the equipment that would be used and i'm ... WTF !!!  you aint going to puting that that thing up anywhere !!! - I worried constantly for the next 2 weeks and my level of anxiety on the day was very high - the worry and the anxiety leading u to it were the worst part because the procedure itself was painless ( uncomfortable at worst)       

• Posted

I guess you were awake during the test? I have major anxiety and would want to be put to sleep. How long is the test? I had a cathader and that was painful. Do you no if they put you asleep? Michelle
  • Posted

Hey i just had my cystoscopy done 2 weeks ago. After goi g to the urologist for a check up he asked me why i was weari g a diaper and i told him that i need a cystoscopy done as i cancelled it do to fear so he said lets do one today. It was symple and very comfy. He put numbing cream in my uretha and it didnt hurt at all. They found that i have a very week bladder. So they padded me back up and now im off to pelvic floor physio.

The only pain was for 2 to 3 days after just stinging when peeing. Thats all.

• Posted

Hi Falcon,

Have you looked into condom catheters, sometimes called stadium catheters or "stadium buddies"? Nothing in the urethra and you might find them more comfortable than adult diapers.

Jim

• Edited

Trust me, I was absolutely terrified to have a cystoscopy, and nearly changed my mind even while sitting in the waiting room. By the time I got in the room I was shaking like a leaf and hyperventilating. The procedure lasted 5 minutes. I felt a pinch and a very little bit of pressure. That was it!!! Weeks of total fear for a simple 5 minute procedure. All they did was numb the area with some gel. I would have no hesitation whatsoever to have it done again tomorrow. (Seriously!!)
  • Posted

My name is Michelle. I've had a transvaginal ultrasound which was normal. I have an appointment December 29 to see a Urologist. They always say to have a Cystoscope test. Have you had a Cystoscope test? Was it painful? I heard you can have partial sedation, have you heard of that? I'm terrified to have the test

• Posted

I had a flexible cystoscopy and also have had a rigid cystoscopy . The first was done with  local anesthetic , the rigid with a general . I had no problems with either , just slight discomfort not pain for no longer than 2 days . The results have made a big change for the better . Dont be afraid and dont worry it is over in a few minutes . Speak to your doctor and explain any worries you may have , with sedation there should be no problem . Worrying is the worst part of the procedure . Good luck .
  • Edited

My name is Michelle like you I'm terrified to have a Cystoscope test. I have pain that feels like it's coming from my clitoris I take Azo anelgesic for the pain. I had a transvaginal ultrasound which is fine. Yet I still have pain. I have cysts on my ovaries. Did you have the Cystoscope test? If yes, we're you awake or sedated? The ultrasound didn't show anything wrong with my bladder. Do you have any advice? I'm going to see a Urogynecologist Thursday I hope he will help me. Merry Christmas

• Edited

I had a flexible cystoscopy today. Let me assure you that the procedure is a piece of cake. In my case the only discomfort is when the numbing jelly is inserted into the urethra, it was cold, and stung for literally 1 second. After that no pain or discomfort at all, only a sensation of "something going on down there". It took about two minutes in total. Of course i would prefer not to be lying down, half naked while being examined and proded, but as I said no pain! I wish you al the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.