I cannot belive this is happening :(:(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Went hospital yesterday to see consultant, who was just dam right rude . Gave me 2 options leave with it or have the injection . Which he then said that the injection is to test to see after he done that the pain may come back and then he decide what to do . Then he said he may not be able to operate and then I can have pain injections . Are these ppl for real 4 months I been off work don't have no life I walk with a limp and can't even go round a supermarket without crying ....

I am 46 years old am gonna lose me job and have sign on never in my life have I had to sign on I always work . ..... I can't cope with all this I suffer with depression anyway and got say I am pretty low at mo.

I don't know what to do , at all how can they leave ppl in pain ...have wait 6 weeks for injection and I don't even wanna see this consulant again.

Was at a private hospital even though am NHS and belive me I never felt so degraded in me life ... anyone have the injection and can explain it to me ?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna

Yes! I am in exactly the same position as you. I am 41 and have had 3 injections. I have had lots of time off work, they can't sack you so please do the worry about that. I had my 1st appt and left feeling the same..I too suffer with depression and anxiety and Yes it makes you feel worse. I am on so many different tablets and and still I am in pain. I know of people who have had the injection and never needed another. My 1st lasted 3 months, 2nd lasted a few weeks and my last one worked pretty well bit then was smashed up the back end of my car and am in even more pain and stronger tablets than ever before. I have my appt with my 2nd consultant (I asked to see another( in Feb and hopefully I will get the go ahead for surgery. Not that I want it but I can't even run my household I'm in that much pain.

Go with the injection- you've nothing to l9se and they may work for you. Ask to see another consultant too. So long as you keep work updated with everything they should be fine with you. They may give you a stage 1 - paranoid for the course but they should make adjustments for your condition to get to back into work.

My Christmas was awful felt so bad on the kids I have good days rarely but then I always do too much - washing drying cleaning. Then I end up in pain by the end of that day. Do you have a good social network to help you? Where are you in the country? Let me know how you are. PM me if needs be - we can chat to keep our spirits up. I know I need it.

Take care xx

• Posted

Thank you for replying I am actually at the end of me mind . Me job they said when I reach 6 months then they don't pay me and also they may have think of my employment there . I live in Durham I used live in London but thought I have a better life up here and it don't seem that way . I only have a couple of friends me family in London and at this moment I just feel like going back . I am so frustrated I just can't belive that after all these months the pain still there ....I don't have any of option then have injection we even see how much was go private and get it done quicker 1500 quid . Which by reading I may have to have more .

The depression is unbearable at mo, my mind doing overtime . I hold me hands up to ppl that live with this am just finding it hard. I have cried so much , keep thinking what else can I do . Then I think sod it am gonna clean house today am gonna do this and then suffer for rest of the week . Why won't it goooooo I don't want much just to have a life and work

Sorry for going on but I don't have anyone else to talk to that understands what am going threw

• Posted

Hi Donna. Sounds like we are in a similar boat! I've had the injection and it's fine but doesn't do much. It's worth it though because then they have to offer you options that DO work! I'm 30, barely working, struggling to pay the bills and extremely depressed. Do you take anything for the pain?

I use a tens machine almost all day everyday and I find if helps. Also getting lost in a film or a game helps distract me from the pain.

Hope this helps

Xxx

• Posted

Hiya thanks for replying , I watched so much telly, read books.. after 4 months am losing the will . Depression has gone threw roof I feel so lonely and so angry coz this bloody pain. I can't see my life living with this for rest me life I just can't . Be postive they say donna I been postive 4 months later am deflated.

I had lots of pills, I hate feeling drugged up I don't want feel like that either ....

Take tramadol when pain bad I take cocodmals otherwise got ibrouphen. Also take me antidepressents. So have be careful what I take.

How do ppl live with this for years I just can't imagine

• Posted

Unfortunately a spinal block is the first step as if that works it proves to them and op would work. Not sure how that works as in my eyes if the spinal block worked then why operate? But they defo recommend at least one to try. Ive had 2 and they don't work the second one left me feeling quite ill. Going for a discogram today where they numb the outer of my bck. And push needles into touch discs to make sure, there definitely the source of pain . Have to be awake so I can feel it then tell them pain and tell them, then if it's positive which they believe it will be , we discuss operation s . Possible discectomy, decompression and spinal fusion. Unfortunately nothing is a quick fix. I had a operation 3 year again only because it was an emergency. I had my first spinal block which didn't work and he wanted to do another 6 month later. I said no I told me after the first one wouldn't have to have another.In the end they had no choice but to operate. Now iam under a neurosurgeon at a private hospital via the nhs best thing ever.Hes spot on and things are moving quickly. Good luck

• Posted

Jessica I went to private hospital yesterday as a NHS patient. And he was not very nice I just didn't understand what was going on and he gave me 2 options. Live with it or have injection. I came out of there crying me eyes out I found him so rude . So what do I do how can I get someone else to see me who I feel comfy with ? I really hope all goes OK for you today keep me fingers crossed let me know how it goes . I seem to find more out on here then I do any were else

• Posted

Really that's terrible my consultant is lovely. Yeh just explain to yr doctor that I've been left feeling really deflated as if he can recommend u to some one else there. A neurosurgeon surgeon is ur best bet .

• Posted

Jessica would you say doctors or physio for me to try and change me consultant?
    • Posted

Yr doctor they hold the purse strings that's fact. But this is only my opinion u do what u thing will work for u Hun

• Posted

Very sorry Donna. It does sound like the consultant was very unsympathetic. The injections are not a cure for a disc herniation. All they do is reduce inflammation of the nerve for a while, which ought to reduce the pain. Some people manage to reduce the herniation with intensive physio but that is not a guaranteed solution. 

If you can't get the disc back in its place with physio, then the disc starts pressing on the nerve again causing the inflammation and pain again. 

So go with the injections but ask why they are not considering you for microdiscectomy. They need to have a clinical reason to rule that out. It seems you may need to develop some sharp elbows. 

Otherwise if they are just rationing, then you might have to see if you can get enough money together to go private, but that will likely cost £6k plus. That said, if you get your life back then it might be worth it. Surgery is 85-90% successful depending on your condition, and how you take your recovery.

I am hoot a doctor so don't push for surgery unless a surgeon tells you you are a good candidate.

• Posted

Hiya Michael , I can't afford the 6k to be honest me job on the line as it is . Am gonna go see doctor Monday as I need weekend to digest all that happened yesterday . And am feeling very low , he didn't even have me mri result there he just read the report . I will have to go with the injection and just see what happens after that . This is just such a long dam process which is so frustrating 4 months and we're have I got no were . So 6 weeks wait now for injection how can this not get better with pills instead . Ohhh well thanks for your advice , hopefully won't lose me job or me relationship sad

• Posted

Personally I think it's quite arrogant with out seeing yr images just keep yr chin up and keep fighting Hun. We got to fight for everything these days

• Posted

I will do Jessica just feeling so deflated today , I know need pick me self up. I will do doctors and me work on Monday . Just feel I need weekend to try and get me head round things . How did u get on today ? Did u have hospital ?
    • Posted

Only got my bloody dates wrong it the 27th of Feb, swear I need a CT scan to check for dementia.🤔

• Posted

Hi Donna I am in no way as bad as you but 2 weeks ago told should consider surgery at which point I thought no way. This has worked for me and maybe won`t work for others. I walk and it hurts!!! borrowed a walker from my mum with a seat do an hours stretching a day. Bought one of those U shaped pillows that helps me to sleep. However I can equate with the depression and its awful. I don`t suffer from depression usually but have spent many a morning in tears. I used to think myself lucky that I was a active 60yr old until this in fact did a 24 mile walk with my Army officer brother 2 yrs ago and kept up with him.  Can see the logic of the injections do not take to heart the attidude of the consultant as I am married to a medical proffesional and they act differently to us maybe people skills are not their best asset. I am sure he didn`t want to make you feel like that. Hope things work out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.