I cannot stand them anymore

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am  stopping taking biso , it has ruined two holidays this year, I have been walking like a zombie, been getting breathless it has made my life a misery, will see the doc for altenative . Dreadfull. Drug.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charles -  I'm suffering the same as you with Biso, I have an appointment with my GP on Monday to sort this out. I have already started reducing my dosage from 5mg to 2.5mg without his knowledge but I still cannot get a good nights sleep, I still have muscle problems and headaches. I will be telling him to get me off Biso also Warfarin which I think is another contributing factor. They prescribe these medications and then forget about you. If you read the instructions that come with the tablets it tells you that you are supposed to be monitored to ensure that the medication is suitable for you. I have never had a recall from anyone either my GP or the hospital since I started taking Biso and Warfarin last September following my AF episode. According to my understanding older people (I am 78) should be monitored more frequently but I never have been asked. Because of my aches pains and the fact that I have started losing weight, I have had a Gastroscopy and a Colonoscopy but they found nothing wrong so I have come to the conclusion that it must be the medication. I am going to argue that anyway. I am also supposed to be taking Simvastatin but I have stopped that as well. So far my AF has not returned since I had it last September. I should point out that what I am doing is my choice and I am not suggesting that others do the same. Regards Joiner
    • Posted

I admire your assertiveness of your right to take charge of your treatment and to take the risk of experimenting without medications that have made you feel I'll. best of luck!
  • Posted

My GP, under pressure from me, reduced my biso by half and I'm now on 1.25.  Feeling more alert.  Unlike Joiner, am being regularly monitored by GP to ensure blood pressure doesn't rise etc.  My situation is different from yours I think because I had a heart attack - but ideally it's best to reduce rather than stop completely unless an alternative can be provided.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Charles,

I have been on Cardicor5 for 4 years.  I had been on Sotolol 40 and aspirin previously. As soon as I was put on that drug I found it difficult to walk any distance but gradually got used to it.  At one point they doubled my dose to 80.  Then I had a strange illness called something like Takabuso's Syndrome and to cut a long story short,  I now have as I said, been taking Bisoprolol hemifumerate for 4 years. I forgot to say that after my problem, and the fitting of a pacemaker, I was taking Amiodorone and Bisorolol plus Ramopril.  I stopped the Ramoproil because I could not cope with the daily nausea.  I told the consultant that I did not want to take Amiodorone, so he doubled my 2.5 Bisoprolol.  I was never really checked to see what the effect was.

Now, I am very deaf in one ear and have increasing deafness in the other.  Deafness is a rare sideeffect of Bisoprolol.  I also have strange cramps in my hands, legs and feet and nightmares, which are not a problem.

I booked private appointment with the cardiologist because I didn't want my condition to detriorate further.  He has put me on a drug called Half Securon and the effects will be monitored when my pacemaker is checked next month.  The dose is about half my Cardicor dose.  I have been taking it for a week and have noticed any deterioration in my A.F.

Ihope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Charles ,Ive been taking  Biso for only 2 weeks for AFib + rivaoxaban its also making my life a misery feeling exhausted light headed and spaced out. I'm 66 widowed and utterly depressed .Going for a treadmill monitor tomorrow then a heartscan the following week ...
    • Posted

Hi Christine

What dosage are you on?  It's very early days for you.  None of us is terribly keen on bisoprolol.  Some of us have stopped taking it.  Some of us have adjusted in time.  Some of us have lowered the dosage.  You've only been on the meds for 2 weeks.  Have your tests.  See what kind of results you get and speak to the doctors. 

I think a big problem which we encounter on this forum often is that we all expect to carry on precisely as before diagnosis. 

I'm down to 1.25 biso per day.  Was going to come off but decided to stay on it for the time being.  When I was on a higher dose I didn't function terribly well but decided to go with the flow.  Gentle walking.  A lot of sleeping and relaxing.  Listened to music.  Watched a few DVDs.  Led the tyope of life which doesn't come naturally to me.  Be patient and keep us posted.  Are you recently widowed?

• Posted

I am new to this site but felt compelled to add my sad experience with bisoprolol to the discussion. After two episodes of tachycardia, along with a few dropped beats, I was prescribed a daily dose of atenalol 50mg.  Felt dreadful, pulse between 40 and 48 bpm.  Rang gp after two days of headache, tiredness, some chest pain, etc. and drug changed to bisoprolol, 2.5mg which, I am told, is half the strength of the previous atenalol dose. Side effects continued and two days later I was in a and e for a second time in a week with severe chest pain, though a normal ecg.  One pisode of tachycardia in the hospital but felt dreadful, not only in pain but spaced out, breathless and, quite frankly, scared!  Before beta blockers I felt fine.  Now been on bisoprolol only 6 days but I do not feel safe taking any more, I still have some chest ache though bp ok and resting pulse rate up to 50. Have now asked gp for propanolol because I have had this before, with no side effects, many years ago, but am concerned it may now have the same disabling effect.  No monitoring has been offered and I feel the gp finds me a nuisance.  I also find they prescribe high doses beyond what their patients can cope with.  For such a powerful drug, this seems dangerous to me.  Good luck with getting a more beneficial alternative, Charles.  
  • Posted

I just been prescribed 5mg of Biso along with 40mg increaed from 10mg of Atorvastation having been diagnosed with Angina. After reading what has written here I will not be taking the Biso. It sounds horrendous stuff! My heart rate is quite slow anyway at 57 beats and the cardo nurse said she would not prescribe biso at the rapide heart clinic, but the when I went for a angiogram the consultant increased the dose of Atorvastation and prescribed the biso. Thanks to all for the information

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.