I cant seem to shake infection without prednislone

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all...Bronchiectasis and infections....I am not able to clear up the infection on antibiotics alone. I end up on prednislone and that gives me my life back!! but I dont know the downside of repeated courses of prednislone. Has anyone else a similar issue?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had an infection which has absolutely refused to shift this year - I get years like that now and then. I am currently on 6 grams a day of penicillin - which frightened the pharmacist to death because he had never seen such a large oral dose to take over 14 days.  However, I am doing OK - upset tum for a few days but seem to have settled now.  I am adjusting my diet because the healthier I eat, the better I feel.  Lots of veg, fruit, fish, chicken and a bit of red meat but no sugar, no alcohol and no yeast-containing products like bread and Marmite.  I never have dairies because they make me feel absolutely lousy.  I am starting to feel much better but I am not sure about how the long term effects will go.  I have only had prednislone about three times in my life - each time I felt wonderful, like a teenager without the angst, but couldn't sleep.  As a general rule of I have seretide inhaler every day, which helps a bit.  I only really use ventolin to help open my tubes when I do my daily postural drainage.  That boring exercise is what helps me most of all I think.  However, it's failed me this year.  I hope you feel a bit better soon.  Constant infections are very very wearing.  Regards.
    • Posted

Hi Operalyn..thanks for your input, I hope you are feeling a bit better? I am certainly looking at my diet to see if anything jumps out..still early days on that..one issue I do have is my allergies to antibiotics, all penicillins and cephlorsporins...as for pred....doc had me start a long weaning course..starting at 25mgs daily for a week, step down by 5 mgs per day for each following week..I worked it out to about 35days, thereabouts..and this is mainly because we are moving from one side of Australia to the other..East to West and the drive is 3600Klms..taking 8 days..and he felt I needed to be infection/inflammation free to do that.

• Posted

I too have bronchiectais and take Prednisione.  I have had to take prednisione on an ongoing basis for years. It started at 10mg per day, then it had to be upped to 20mg.  I am now at 40mg per day, if I try to decrease, I get sicker. 

When I first started with prednisione, even a low amount helped a lot.  Now, I have to take more just to maintain. I have tried to lower the dosage, but I can't without ending up in the hospital.

Luckily, for me, I don't have the usual side affects....weight gain and water retension. You can bruse easier while on pred. There is a higher risk of Colcoma (I dont know how its spelled) of the eyes, so I have my eyes checks regularly (I'm 66). 

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth. ..I am 68 &didn't even suspect lung disease was lurking to bring me down. .been taking all due precautions to stay ahead of cancers.. anyhow...thanks for your input. ..I am talking to doc today...will post the outcome later..xx
  • Posted

And we should also mention Theophylline - another bronchodilator which has a longish lasting anti-inflammatory effect. I actually take an alternative to that here in Thailand - "Puroxan" Doxophylline. I take it because it's readily available and more importantly advertises to be a more modern equivalent (made by a European drug company btw, but tends to be used in the third world) without the sleep-affecting side effects. I agree with that latter claim, having tried both. I drop the dose or eliminate it when I'm clear of infection but if I drop it when I'm infected I notice the difference.

I sympathise with the poster who brought up the subject of drug cost - I'm now non-resident UK so don't get any meds free. I have insurance that covers me for hospital attendances, private consultants and procedures (at some cost over the last 25 years, but it's been payback time now!) but I bear about GBP 1,100 [US $1,700] of meds cost pa. I'm lucky in that I had a good job and have always invested for the (this) future, but it must be hard as hell if you have to balance up cost and effect.

That said I don't spend money willingly and always look for value. At some stage in the future if I have exhausted the western med approches to finding out what bugs afflict me, I shall be looking at the Chinese medicine alternatives to see how effective they are and what the comparative costs are.

• Posted

Ok..back from doctor with a new/adjusted care plan... 1) Spiriva is out --Anoro Ellipta is in... 2) Ventolin by nebuliser..(when I can afford one) 3) Pred for a weaning run to get infection  under control 4) Doxycillin 2xdaily for 14 days then mainenence dose daily shifting between Doxy and Klacid..so we will see ! thanks for you input, support and information!

• Posted

Years ago, I was on Theophylline.  Then for seasons I'm not sure, doctors stopped prescribing it (I live in the united states).  I think it had to do with the side affects. 

I agree, you shouldn't have to pay for the nebulizer. Do alittle research and see if you can get, at least, a discount.  I just got a new one.  My other one was 15 yrs old, and the cost was minimal.

Some one posted about diet and what to eat and not eat.  I may try that.  See what foods will/will not make my congestion/mucus worse.

We all may need to 'Think outside the Box'.

• Posted

Shame you have to buy your own nebuliser. I got mine free on the NHS. Good luck with the new regime!
    • Posted

Sadly I am yet to find free offerings here in Australia...but I am going to be giving it a red hot try!  thanks for your support!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.