I chose to come off of antidepressants without the assistance of my doctor.What should I expect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking Olanzapine and sertraline for 3 years now since my depression started when I was 17.I fully recovered and got back to my true self after the first year.I gained huge amounts of weight since then about 20 to 30 kg and some stretchmarks over time.Realising that I was way better now I consulted my doctor about coming off the pills who said I have a stressful life and will need an extra 3 to 5 years to come off the meds.I was so disappointed but i figured that continuing the meds was the only way i would frequently consult her and be her " paying customer" so I decided to do it myself. Fortunately she had cut of the Olanzapine dosage to a quarter of a pill which is the smallest dosage so I grabbed that opportunity to self wean.Its been a week now and the withdrawal symptoms have started neusea , fatigue vomiting, insomnia and irritability ,loss of appetite. How will it take for these to fade and what more should I expect?Am I alone ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI there

NO u are not alone! I posted my hell withdrawal experience from Olanzapine late last year here

I got a big response! I went cold turkey as the Doctors weren't listening when I repeatedly ? and told them I didn't feel myself at all The withdrawal symptoms were really rough and lingered for many months but now I feel Great and haven't looked back! I also worked hard on my physical well being getting into fitness and eating really healthy and supporting my system with quality supplements so I urge u to hang in there and really look after yourself

I'm now involved in Mental Health as a Consumer Consultant focusing on medication management and have done a survey that's been approved to go out to fellow consumers

Things will get better! :-)

• Posted

Thanks a lot @karogers I thought I was doing the unthinkable or it might spiral to a bad ending .Knowing that someone out there has done it before and is living a perfect life is encouraging and calming.I will also try getting into fitness and eating healthy maybe it might suppress some of the symptoms and get my mind off of things.Thanks a lot you an angel @karogers.
  • Posted

You are most welcome! :-)

Just nurture yourself and all will come well! :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.