I close eyes and start dreaming. Complex sleep. What should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Apologies for the long post. (I had to write this twice as the session timed out the first time 😦 )

TLDR; my sleep is broken, I dream so much that I live 2 lives, one in reality and one in dreams, this affects my ability to function. Would be grateful if you can help.

I have been having sleep problems for over four years. Did not have any of these before. Some of the symptoms are intermittent, also vary in severity.

Background:

I am 24 years old, from India, been living in UK for 2 years. Sometime four years ago, at once, I started having many health issues like anxiety, depression, muscle aches and so on. The only diagnosed issue until now is Hypothyroidism ( sub-clinical). I take 12.5 mcg thyroxine per day and I am told it is in control. But from that time on, my sleep was crazy.

Main Issues:

1. My memory. I can remember the specifics but everything seems like a hangover all the time. "Oh, wait is it yesterday that I visited my friend for dinner? That seems like so long ago or never happened. But yeah, yesterday is Monday, so yes it is yesterday then" Especially after a really bad sleep, whether a nap or night's sleep, I seem to forget things. There have been so many instances of this, now-a-days I explicitly use memory techniques to remember things.
  2. I feel very weak most of the time. My muscles are weak and I always feel out of balance. Especially after a bad sleep. I shake a lot, even in sleep. In tube station, I always stand far from the platform as I feel I might lose balance and fall down. My only way of curing weakness is if I sleep. I don't feel very sleepy but rather tired and dizzy, I usually go to washroom at work and try to sleep. If I manage to sleep for 30 mins or so, I feel amazingly productive for some hours at least.
  3. Generally, on my bed, as soon as I close my eyes, I start dreaming. Sometimes, in less than a minute. I am kind of half awake then. This happens even more during day time naps. The number of dreams I get during sleep are amazing. I can write 5-6 pages of dreams as soon as I wake up everyday. I dream are similar to my thoughts if I were awake. But I get confused with dream or reality sometimes. Sometimes, my dream about something seems so real, for example, "I dreamt that my co-worker became my manger and I worked under him for many years. The next day, I felt I know him so much better though I don't really know him much. I have some dream where my family is present. Morning, if I get a call from them, I feel that I have been talking to them for so long though in reality, I haven't spoke to them in a while.". I have a journal of almost 50 pages of dreams, I intentionally stopped writing them now.
  4. I toss and wake up multiple times in sleep. I shake and have tremors kind of things sometimes.
  5. Anxiety, depression: I would say I was very depressed and anxious for almost 3 years but not now. But whenever my sleep is bad, they become worse.
  6. Could be unrelated: My digestion is very bad, stomach gets upset almost every day. I am hypermobile. I get crashed whenever I drink coffee. I have asthma, but mainly while I exercise.

Attempted Diagnosis/Treatment:

1. One doctor suspected UARS(upper airway resistance syndrome) and I underwent a surgery for deviated septum. Didn't help much.
  2. I underwent polysomnography in India and doctor said I have mild sleep apnea and MSLT of 11 mins, but he said its not narcolepsy. He gave me paroxetene and modafinyl. modafinyl didnt help but paroxetene helped a bit, see next section.
  3. After coming to London, I ordered a home sleep study for 3 nights and it suggested I have mild to moderate sleep apnea. I visited sleep clinic in London, when doctor tested twice, I am told I don't have any at all. He referred me to another clinic suspecting narcolepsy.
  4. There, unfortunately I had the best sleep on my polysomnography night and doctor said everything was good, I don't have any characteristics of narcolepsy. Most interesting thing is, I dreamt a lot in one of my day time naps, but I am told I did not enter REM then. I am advised to have proper sleep hygiene and nothing else.
  5. I self referred to a CBT therapist and told him all this, he thinks I just have health anxiety. This can definitely seem like one to him, but there is no way this is just anxiety. I can bet there is some issue.

Paroxetene:

I am given paroxetene by Indian doctor, I tried it for a month. Usually I feel very irritated after sleep but that made me feel fresh. But it made me so much drowsy. I then slowly stopped taking it, but then had the worst side effects ever. I couldn't sleep for more than 2 hours straight, I got so many nightmares and night terrors, I woke up screaming so many times. One night, I woke up, sang a song and slept. All these scared me so much I told my GP and she asked me to retake paroxetene for 6 months. But I am so scared I did not take again. This is 2 months ago, I still have the withdrawal effects now though I am getting better.

What helps me:

1. Sleeping a lot. If I sleep close to 9 hours, I feel much better. 7 hours or less, I am zombie the next day.
  2. Naps in office. It is difficult because I am not really sleepy, but after a nap, I feel so much better.
  3. Exercise helps a lot, though most of the times I cannot exercise because I am so weak because of bad sleep the previous night.
  4. Positive attitude, meditation and breathing exercises help. After 3 years of suffering, I learned to use my very little energetic time efficiently and I do quite well in my office work now. Whenever I am feeling well, I try to be the most productive, happy, social.

Need help on:

1. Anyone knows what is happening to me? I am living a nightmare, (both literally and figuratively). My memory is worst, energy the least, muscles the weakest and I dream the most.
  2. I am definitely depressed for 2-3 years. But for the last one year, I am very positive. I do have my lows now and then, but it is mostly because of bad physical health rather than the other way round.
  3. Any suggestions on paroxetene? I have a hope it might cure everything, but the withdrawal symptoms give me shivers even now. I am afraid if it might go wrong and cause permanent neural damage.

Thanks a lot in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Really sorry for the long post.

TLDR. I dream so much, feel weak the next day, bad memory and I need naps to sustain the day.

I would be really grateful, if anyone has any idea on this. Thanks again.

• Edited

i have some similar issues with my sleep beginning after a bad reaction to zoloft causing panic attacks and insomnia because of the anxiety. went on ativan amitriptjline and lexapro for two months. when i came off amitriptyline and ativan my sleep deteriorated completely. im left with waking every hour from constant dreaming. i often can't perceive sleep anymore. this has resulted in daytime exhaustion. ive had to quit my job because of it. all doctors can tell me is that its anxiety but i never had sleep issues before these meds so i disagree 100%. i do have anxiety and depression now but the sleep issues came first

• Posted

What do you mean when you say "I can't perceive sleep"?

• Edited

i cant feel myself sleep or wake up. i feel awake all night. basically i only know ive slept at all because more time on the clock passes by than expected. for example i might think ive been awake for 20 minutes, but when i look at the clock two hours have gone by. its called paradoxical insomnia. i have regular insomnia too.

• Posted

i read your post again. have you looked into any of the following? cirs/lymes/babesia/mold illness?

they often occur together and lymes makes those individuals even more susceptible to mold illness. i would test your home to rule out any mold

• Posted

oh I see. So have you had a sleep study done? I've never heard of this kind of insomnia before. Have you always dealt with this. I wonder if it's anxiety and/or stress related?

• Edited

only a home sleep study for sleep apnea which came back negative. no its not anxiety or stress induced. it began immediately after an adverse reaction to zoloft which i went on for situational anxiety due to health complications with my newborn. i slept perfectly until the zoloft reaction.

• Posted

It's good that you had a sleep study done. Antidepressants/Anti-Anxiety medications can induce anxiety, actually any medication can. I'm not a doctor, however, I do think the Zoloft messed you up and put your body in constant state of anxiety. I'm getting ready to join a psychiatry practice that does genetic testing to see what medications work best for the individual. Doing so will significantly reduce the negative side effects or eliminate them completely. Perhaps you should look into it, so that you could fix your issue, or at the very least, reduce it. The psychiatry practice is called Prairie Health and it's all online. I too, am having sleep difficulties, not as intense as yours but I'm in pretty bad shape. Furthermore, I sometimes. experience severe dread for no reason, and I never feel normal, if that makes sense.

Your Answers:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.