I completely ignored/avoided someone today..feeling guilty

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was sat in the dentist's waiting room today when someone who I used to work with (and got on well with) came in and sat down. I pretended I didn't see her and completely ignored her. We were sat there for what felt like an eternity. I didn't want to have to talk to her as I would have to lie and pretend I'm ok when in reality I'm a mess and have been for a long time. I could feel myself panicking and feeling sick and dizzy, when I eventually saw the dentist I was barely listening to her talking about the treatment I need, it felt like a dream sequence. My old colleague didn't deserve this, she must think I'm so rude and ignorant. I feel ashamed.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bee, we have all done this, i have sometimes and because like yourself  i haven't felt well and didn't want to say i was ok when i wasnt. Anyway your old collegue didnt make any effort to speak to you, so don't feel guilty. It is not worth worrying about. I have even avoided family because i didn't want to speak to them. I am sure others have done the same to me. Move on. If in the future you see this collegue, say i am sorry i didnt speak on the day in question if you feel you want to. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

She didn't talk to you either. She could have made the approach, why do you feel it's all your responsibility?!
    • Posted

You probably looked scared to death, which she will assume is fear of dentists. Nice of her to ignore your distress and make no effort at all to chat and cheer you up...
  • Posted

We have all done this before. It's just human nature sometimes. We just don't feel like talking on and occasions and you don't need to feel guilty. I also agree with everyone wlse, this friend made no effort to speak to you either!
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies, I was so caught up in my own anxiety I didn't think about the fact that she didn't speak to me either. The very few times I'm out and I see someone I recognise I always avoid/hide from them. I guess it was just so much more intense because we were in an enclosed space and I really panicked and made myself feel so ill. It makes me not want to leave the house just in case I see someone.
  • Posted

Totally understand how you would feel. I too do this a lot. Sometimes just going out of the house is hard enough to deal with Never mind polite conversation. Don't worry any more and try and forget it she will have xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.