I contracted glandular fever when I was in my 20's

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am about to turn 60 and concur that over the years the rate of recurrence has diminished but alas still manages to knock me down every so often (I currently have fatigue for the first time in a few years) in the early days I went to several doctors looking for an answer - they would generally give me a standard blood test, get me back and look at me as though I was some sort of hypocondriac and tell me there was nothing wrong with me (very frustrating). During one bout of 'the tireds' I noted that taking iron tablets along with vitamin E gave me a miraculous boost of energy for a short while but when I tried the combination again during a subsequent bout it made no difference (one of the many mysteries). My question to you is - Has there been any correlation made between the bouts of fatigue & gluten? I did a minimum gluten diet several years ago (for quite a few months) and it didn't seem to be making much difference so I stopped. It wasn't until I got this latest bout of fatigue that I realised I had shaken 'the tireds' for several years and wondered whether the low gluten diet was to thank for the break?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Gluten free diet will be beneficial if you have allergies to it. Otherwise it will not have any effect, as in your case. 

Fatigue can have several reason, and GF is definitely one of them. 

Since you had GF, the virus is still there in your system and can knowck you sometimes in case your immune system is under stress. 

Good diet and stress free life helps.

• Posted

Hi Jeff,

So sorry to hear that you have been struggling with the tiredness and effects for a very long time, I don't really know is the answer about the gluten but anything that you think is helping is certainly worth a try. Vitamin B complex and co-enzyme Q10, taking together with a good multi-vitamin and high doses of Vitamin C are all very helpful for your energy levels - that helped me and would definitely recommend.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Jeff ,at last somebody else notices the effect gluten has ,I have suffered fatigue bouts for at 7 months now ,I cut out gluten and immediately felt better after a few days ,.however the bouts of fatigue would still come occasionally this is when I got the blood test that showed I had GF and didn't even know at the time .Dr said it couldn't have been gluten but every time I've had a bout of fatigue lately I can look back and see that I've had gluten .ijust had 2 and a half days of severe fatigue again on the  weekend and remembered I'd had some gluten , so from now on will make a conscious effort to avoid it .I truly believe it does play havoc with me .cut it back out and see how you go,Iam normally a very energetic person and this has knocked me for a six so to me the gluten is not worth it .good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.