I could lose my job, I don't know what's happening to me, please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've grown up with uti's since I was three years old, never had more than 2-3 a year and they were usually about six months apart. 

This year I got into a new relationship. Sex was pretty frequent even when compared with now and I never got a uti until about the same time I got IMPLANON (February) and then they started. So far, since February-March, I've had four rounds of antibiotics for what felt like four cases of uti's. However every culture that I did came back with no bacteria, but some came back with Leukoctytes and a trace amounts of protein. 

The most weird bout of uti was recent. Last saturday I felt the pain, saw a doctor, I gave him a sample but for some reason they were out of dip tests so i had to wait. Knowing I had already had three rounds of antibiotics (KEFLEX) since February, he prescribed me with Trimethoprim. Because my biggest fear is bacterial ressitance, i Decided to try and beat it on my own with Ural, Cranberry tablets and even garlic tablets. It seemed to work, and then Tuesday night after symptoms had completely subsided the pain came back really badly so I felt I had no choice but to take the antibiotics, So I did. Day 5 into the Trimethoprim I'm fine. The symptoms are ALMOST nothing, but then today (Day 6) at around 3 o clock the pain came back with brute force even though im still on the antibiotics. 

My doctor recently said she thinks I have Interstitial Cystitis, but I have to go through a few procedures before I get officially diagnosed. I'll give you a list of symptoms

* frequent urination (2-3 times throughout the night, 10+ during the day) 

* about once a week I have a day where I have horrible pain in lower abdomen, its not permanent. Most of the week I barely have any symptoms but very very mild burning that goes away within 20 minutes. 

* NO bacteria in urine 

*Leukocytes and trace amounts of protein in a couple of samples

*Exhausted 

Sex is NOT painful, its quite enjoyable when I don't have any symptoms and I don't have those issues like I hear so many interstitial cystitis patients do. When the pain isnt there, I can have sex. But when it is I just want to hide away from the world and Cry. My doctor has given me endep to see if it helps. 

I'm getting extra nervous because my manager has stated that if this goes on for too long I will have to resign from my contract which means I'll have no work. I'm 23 and don't live with my parents anymore. 

If anyone could please give me some advice on how they treat their IC I would really appreciate it. I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do anymore. 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle, so sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. To me it sounds like ic,but you have to be diagnosed to be sure. The first thing to do is to get a list of the foods you can eat and the foods that are a big no no. Get on a web site that will give you that. Also this includes drinks. Cranberries are a big no no for people who have ic, can cause a major flare. Have you been to a urologist yet,if not that might be something you might consider. They can do tests that will eliminate other things. There are a few things that a urologist can do to help you if it is ic. The only medication on the market is Elmiron, but there are instills and some people go on antidepressants but first you have to be diagnosed. I hope this helped some and I'm sure there are others on this forum that will give you some advice. Take care, we are here for you.

• Posted

Hi Brenda, 

Thank you for your input. My GP has already placed me on endep (An antidepressant) but apparently it doesnt behave like an antidepressant unless its above 100mg. I only have 25 mg. 

I have a referral to go and see a urogynecologist who I am calling tomorrow to book their next available appointment. 

I started changing my diet today to avoid flares like this one today (if it is IC) because honestly that was brutal. I had mcdonalds today so honestly that could have quite easily caused it now that i have done my research. It has calmed down significantly now to the point where I could sleep (I'm in Australia) which is good. I did that by drinking lots of water and ural powder as well as panadol and nurofin. I have been taking cranberry tablets but i don't think it caused this flare up as I've taken at least one everyday for years and in the past its never been this bad WITHOUT having bacteria. I've always had bacteria show up when i feel this pain this bad. This is all foreign to me and it does scare me, so I thank you for giving me your input. 

If you dont mind me asking, do you have IC? 

• Posted

Hi Danielle, yes I definitely have it and its not fun. I was diagnosed a year ago. Today I am going through a flair. Unlike you I cannot take cranberries what so ever. It's a almost like a game because I'm still finding things that I can't eat that maybe someone else with ic can. Each person is different. I live in the USA, so you might have other drugs then we do. Amanda has some very good ideas on the subject. Good luck with the urogynecologist. Hang in there.😎

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to add, if it is ic, there will be good days if you follow your diet. I have been flare free for over 3 months, dont know what caused this one, probably stress,which could cause one too. Again hang in there and let us know how it goes with appt. Good luck 😎

• Posted

Hi, Danielle-Brenda is absolutely right. It does sound like IC and you should see a urologist or urogynecologist STAT. There is a lot of IC info on the web about diets and self care-use it! One thing you can try is 1/2-1 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water 1-2 times daily when the pain is bad. It lowers the acidity in the bladder and eases pain, but avoid if you have high bp or are sodium sensitive. AZO can also help with pain, urge and frequency and is OTC. Avoid acidic foods/beverages, caffeine, alcohol , soy and artificial ingredients. Spicy food is bad; if it burns in the mouth it'll burn in the bladder. I hope this helps and you find the answers you need. Even if it is IC, there's hope-it can get better!?

• Posted

Hi Amanda, 

Thank you for your input. I have already got a referral to see a urogynecologist apparently he is the best in melbourne (Australia). So I'll be seeing him soon. 

Yes I take a lot of baking soda and I also drink ural and I do find it brings some relief thank goodness. Honestly, I'm really hoping its something curable rather than IC, but so far nothing has shown up on ultrasounds or blood tests to suggest anything. I have yet to do an STD check but I'm very confident I don't have one as I've only had two sexual partners I've been both of their firsts. 

Do you have IC? have you found some relief at all? 

• Posted

Hi, Danielle! I forgot an important tip-try everything you can to relax. Whether it's yoga, meditation or deep (belly) breathing (I find this very helpful when my pelvic muscles are tensed and urgency/frequency rears it's ugly head). Mild exercise can be great, too. But don't push yourself, listen to your body and rest when you need to. There's more than one treatment option out there for us so be patient and don't lose hope if the first one doesn't work.

• Posted

Danielle, I do have IC. I was diagnosed in September but had mild symptoms intermittently for about a year prior to that. I've been following the diet since September, on Elmiron since November and have noticed improvement. Be careful with foods, some of us are sensitive to foods on the ok list (garlic and onions for me). Unfotunately it can be a matter of trial and error. I've also been seeing a physical therapist for the past month per my urogyno's referral for muscle spasms in the pelvic region and have noticed an improvement in frequency (I can hold it for 4 hours sometimes!). I still have constant urgency but it is SO much better than it used to be. I'm hopeful for complete remission but this disorder is all about maintenance to prevent flares. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.