I COULD SLEEP ALL DAY LONG and not feel rested

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I have the opposite problem than most people, I do not have a problem with sleeping/falling asleep, I have a problem with waking up! I could sleep all day long and still not feel rested.

I am a 34 y/o woman, in great health, I eat healthy, I exercise regularly and I am not overweight but I am always tired and could sleep at least 10-12 hours per day. I get at least 8-10 hours of sleep during the week and any where from 9 - 13 hours of sleep on the weekend. I thought maybe I was over sleeping but when I get even less sleep than 8 hours I am extremely tired. I feel like a growing teenager and this has been going on since I was a teen and has not stopped. Even after getting 10-12 hours of sleep I can easily take a 3 hour nap during the day.

I have anxiety problems which started in my late 20's that I have been on medication for a year or so and feeling great but even before the anxiety I felt this way. Could it be a hormone imbalance? I am not sure why I am like this. Does anyone else have the same issue? I am the only one I know who is like this. Everyone laughs because I am always yawning. I don't fall asleep randomly during the day or anything like that I just always feel like I just got out of bed.

I should also mention that I am not depressed, I am very content with my life and I am not by any means stressed out from work ect...I just wish I had more energy! help!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

Have you been to your doctor recently to inquire about this? I used to have this same issue a few years back as well and I found out that my Thyroid was out of wack. Everyone experiences different symptoms when their Thyroid levels aren't what they should be. It seems that maybe you have an underactive Thyroid. Are there any other symptoms you've been experiencing along with this major fatigue?

I personally think you should see your doctor ASAP and maybe see about going for some bloodwork because if you do have any issue with your Thyroid, it's not going to correct itself. I had to be put on Synthroid for my condition for a few months and it seemed to really help me. By the way, how long has this all been going on for? Have you felt this much fatigue for a long period of time? Sometimes I've found as well that if your sleep patterns are all over the place, it's harder for you to feel completely refreshed and energized in the mornings. Could be a sleep disorder too. You would have to book an appointment with a Sleep Aid Clinic so that they can give you a device to bring home with you. You hook it up and after you fall asleep, it will measure how long you've been in deep sleep. That could be the main problem as well, maybe you're falling asleep and sleeping for a long period of time, but your brain might not be entering deep sleep like you should. That's how you end up feeling groggy and extremely tired. Hope this information helps you!

• Posted

Hey thanks for the reply! yes I've seen a doctor just recently and had thyroid checked and all blood work - text book healthy!

And this has been going on since I was a teenager I have just been living with it. I have recently thought about about what you said about how much actual sleep I get. A couple friends of mine have the fitbit watch which monitors how much actual sleep they get while they sleep and I think that defiantly would be worth testing out.

• Posted

That could be my wife's problem as she is on thyroid medication.

• Posted

My wife is like that and can sleep anywhere and at any time. Most annoying as I hardly sleep. And of course she starts to snore just as I'm about to sleep.

• Posted

Hi jenny. Some people would be saying 'half your luck' for being able to sleep that long but at the same time to much sleep is also not good. Have you had your iron levels checked? As someone else mentioned, possibly your thyroid. Even though your blood work came back as normal for your thyroid, that's not always the case. The thyroid is a very tricky organ/s & standard blood tests don't always give proper results. There is a special blood test that can be done to test it correctly but you have to pay for that. Well i'm in australia & i've had this special blood test done & i had to pay for it. (i have an overactive thyroid) diagnosed 12yrs ago. Could also be a sleep disorder of some kind. I would suggest going back to your doctor & demand further testing. Good luck.

• Posted

As others have said I would see a doctor. Sometimes sleep apnea can cause excessive daytime tiredness even if you don't wake up during the night. Some people don't know they have it until they get checked out but other people do as one symptom can be waking up gasping for air. But I would also get some blood tests done for your thyroid, liver and blood cell count to rule out other undiagnosed problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.