I cry when speaking to people of authority.

Posted , 4 users are following.

This has long been an issue, whenever I speak to somebody (particularly in a position where they are giving me feedback or criticism like with my manager at work) I really struggle not to cry.

I'm quite a confident person, not much really gets to be about day to day life. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder when I was in my first year of university (about 5 years ago now) and I don't suffer as much as I used to from panic attacks or feeling overwhelmed, I do however feel very anxious when I have to speak one on one to people.

This happens Infront of doctors, teachers, colleagues and my manager.

could this be related to my existing anxiety?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Fawun

I think this is because of underlying self-consciousness...in spite of being confident in other areas, in one-to-one situations all focus is on you and what you might say/do/react.  I, too, have experienced this, when an adrenaline rush comes, and makes you feel flustered and, in your case, tearful.  One example of my own issues...I could easily write a speech, a poem, a short story...what you will...but if I had to read it out in front of a group of people, I would be overcome with nerves, would blush, become breathless and want to run away.....Keep your spirits up, keep smiling and do not lose faith in yourself.  Good Luck.

• Posted

Yes it's just part of anxiety, I suffer from this too. My body trembles and body shakes if I know I have a meeting to attend or have to speak to anyone I think is authors give. Think it's a fear of being judged, worried bout making a full of yourself

Try not to worry bout it too much, I'm sure lots of people have the same symptom 😘

• Posted

Sorry meant to say authoritive in last post not authors give lol phone keeps changing spelling
  • Posted

I have the same issues, but instead of crying, I stutter. All this time I thought that it's just some sort of stage fright out of my extreme shyness. But could this be a mental disorder?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.