I cured my reflux/bloating/breathing problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

For years I've had reflux, bloated, blocked nose, cough, clearing thrust, difficulty swallowing food, phlegm, asthma. After tests the GP couldn't find anything wrong. So I stopped all diary products, including all foods containing milk (read labels) and I used diary-free milk/butter. And within 2 weeks I was cured from what has been a nightmare few years. I'd been to A&E numerous times with difficulty breathing but it was classed as anxiety. Now I know I can't ever have diary products. Even my skin has changed, I don't get blackheads around my nose anymore. The changes physically and mentally have been dramatic and I feel amazing. I'd definitely say try it if you've not already done so.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That meant to say clearing my throat not thrust. I forgot to mention also that I now no longer get headaches which I used to get. And even my poo has changed, it's no longer dark, it used to be hard or liquidy now it's light in colour and feels easier to go (sorry for the details but if it helps others)

• Posted

Hi I have same symptoms as you and did try cutting out dairy, but maybe didn't try hard enough. Which dairy free milk do you do, because some if them are not good in tea and coffee. Also does that include cheese ? It would be great to get rid of all these symptoms.

• Posted

Hazel, you might be sensitive to other foods like gluten and not dairy. Try each and see if t helps. Sure, is always good to limit intake on all these foods like gluten and dairy.
    • Posted

Hi Hazel, I literary check every single item of food to make sure it doesn't contain milk. I use Soya Milk which tastes just like normal milk and I use dairy-free cheese which you can buy. Lots of every day foods contain milk but there are alternatives and most big stores now have a 'free-from' range. I even buy dairy-free ice creams and dairy-free cookies which taste just as good if not better than ordinary ones. I can't tell you in words the difference it's made to my life. No more inflammation or mucous, blocked nose, respiratory problems, sore bloated stomach, reflux. I'd even had an allergy blood test through my GP months ago which was negative but I'm not sure if dairy was tested for. I'm definitely allergic to it or intolerant to it. Only way of finding out is to cut it out completely. I tried cutting out caffeine at first that didn't help, then I tried cutting out all form of sugar (which is ridiculously hard to do) - that never worked and I felt like a zombie, then I cut out diary and finally got to the bottom of my nightmare

• Posted

Hi James, thanks so much . I am definitely going to try this. Will keep you posted. My life is so miserable with this problem as am sure you know. 
  • Posted

Not sure if that has anything to do with dairy causing acid/reflux etc. I never drank milk and I had all sorts of hell with Acid. So maybe yours was just the allergy.
    • Posted

I agree, but giving it a try won't hurt.  Try all food triggers.

• Posted

Yes I first went to A&E a few years ago with chest pains and breathing difficulties and after an ECG the doctor said it was probably acid reflux and anxiety. My GP put me on Omeprazole which I continued to take as my tight chest seemed better. I continued on omelrazole for years with big flare ups of symptoms including breathing difficulties and tight chest but after examinations at A&E they said my lungs and heart were fine and so they increased my dose of omeprazole. I had the camera down my throats which came back clear. Since I've stopped eating diary I no longer get a tight chest or breathing difficulties, I no longer take omeprazole either. So I'm sure now that it was not acid it was mucous that was causing the problems in my throat and in my digestive system - which my body produced from a reaction to me eating/drinking diary foods.

• Posted

What made you think of Dairy?  How did you come up with that food source as being the culprit?  Just curious because I have all of those symptoms you just described and have had for years now.  My dr. has diagnosed me with silent reflux.   Thanks for the information.  I'm very happy for you.   

• Posted

I was being treated for silent reflux and had been taking omeprazole twice daily and Ranitidine but was still getting symptoms, and every now and then the symptoms were so bad that I went to A&E. I was desperate to understand why I was suffering so much (even when taking omeprazole & ranitidine). So, I came online and started to research what could be causing my suffering. First I tried to cut caffeine which didn't really do much. Then I cut out all form of sugar which is crazy and didn't work out at all. Then I decided to cut out dairy because I read how diary causes inflammation and can cause the body to produce mucous. I was so down about my symptoms that I did it properly, I cut all diary completely from my diet. And the result was fascinating within a week. I'd never eat dairy again. Now, when I thought back to all the times I'd had extreme episodes of my symptoms (breathing difficulties) I realised that there was something in common each time - I'd had either an ice cream or a milkshake that day. I couldn't believe I'd finally realised what was going on in my body! Within a couple of weeks I had no mucous to cough up, my stomach went from being swollen and sore to flat and normal, I was able to sleep properly again, I no longer had headaches. I'm happy again

• Posted

So many people have a similar problem with foods and just don't know it.  The worse part is that most Doctors know this but prefer to just load you on PPI's, ;-(

• Posted

Hi James, just printed off '12 foods that cause excessive mucus in the body '. This is very helpful and I have all the symptoms stated. The two main foods to avoid are dairy and wheat. I have to try this but it's going to be hard as there's not much left to eat. 

• Posted

Hi Hazel

The way I went about it was, I assumed it was one type of food which my body is allergic/intolerant too - and so to make it easier I would cut out a single food at one any one time for a period and if the symptoms remained during that time I would introduce that food back into my diet and then cut a different food for a period and so on. Then, I stopped cows milk, cheese, butter, I read the label on every single food item I consumed making sure nothing I ate contained milk/lactose. And it worked. May be easier doing it this way instead of cutting more than one food at the same time.

Good luck Hazel I hope you find out what's making you life so miserable and I'm certain you will succeed

• Posted

Hi again James, Good idea so think I will cut out dairy foods to begin with and see how that goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.