I currently have a word catheter to assist in draining my bartholins abcess.

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I've had a total of 3 cysts two of which have been abscessed and drained. This is my first experience with the word catheter and so far it's going well. The last abcess my Dr packed the wound daily and I would have to take a sitz bath and clean it with a qtip every evening. (Excruciating pain). Anyways, he said in the office he didn't like word catheters (had it placed in the ER) and wanted to take it out but he'd let me make the decision. Needless to say I opted for the less painful and traumatic one and still have the catheter for the next 4 weeks. My questions are, is removal painful, will the area that the ballon was in full with fluid and cause another cyst? I'm doing sitz baths at least once a day with this catheter because I just think I need to. Can anyone help? My Dr also wants me to get the gland removed. I'm 33 and not real sure about it. I do know I can't stand the pain that comes along with these cysts. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The removal isn't painful at all. The way the catheter stays in; there is a balloon inflated under your skin. They stick a needle through the catheter into the balloon to deflate, and then pull it out. I didn't even know they had taken it out. The catheter is left in 4-6 weeks (preferably 6) so that your skin can heal around the catheter, leaving a bigger opening for drainage and to prevent backup in the future. Removing the gland is sort of like a last resort. There's no reason to go into surgery if you haven't tried the word catheter. There will be a hole left after the removal, but you can't see it unless you move your labia out of the way. I was told the hole gets smaller with time, I'm not sure

I've had my catheter out for about a week after two other failed attempts 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.