I'd appreciate some feedback on levels of medication.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here, so if I break any rules of etiquette, please forgive me.

I'm currently being treated for a variety of mental issues, the medication mix currently being prescribed as follows;

Lamotragine 400mg / day

Quetiapine 225mg / day

Flouoxetine 60mg / day

My symptoms are still very much in evidence, although there is a clear abatement in their severity, despite my taking these drugs over a period of many months.

Other 'cocktails' have been tried, with various degrees of success, but the current mix seems to have been the most overall effective .

My questions are these;

Is this a high or a low dose of this particular mix?

Is this a high enough dose of medication for me to be concerned about long term effects?

Would it be prudent to ask for higher dosages, because although I believe the drugs are working to an extent, I am experiencing the same symptoms as prior to taking any medication at all, although as I mentioned earlier, there is a definite attentuation in their severity.

Thank you in advance, 

Stuart

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Assuming that is your actual name, I would have chosen a name which gives a degree of anonymity.
    • Posted

Thank you for that, Nick.

It is more a question of the mix, rather than the component parts, how they stack up as a whole, rather than individually.

Yes, it is my name. Thanks for the warning, but I am who I am.

Thanks for the link though!

• Posted

Well, it depends what it is for. Part of that mix might be what is supposed to be wrong with us.

But what I will tell you is that I was at one time on Lamotrigine, Mirtazapine, Quetiapine and Pregabaline. I am now have been taken off Mirt and Quetiapine driven by the side-effects that I was reporting and presumably influenced by the fact that I was no longer showing the symptoms for which I was being prescribed these. I had previously been taken off Prozac and to be replaced by something else and likewise with Lithium.

I was on 100 mg of Quetiapine.

I am on 100 mg of Lamotrigine.

I was a zombie on the above dose of Quetiapine such that I was having difficulty functioning in the morning.

You will have to draw your own conclusions in discussion with your doctor/psychiatrist.

My reluctance in telling you what I am on is that as with others on patient.info you are asking for some kind of help but inviting me and others to contribute their own experiences. Then, not necessarily you, they will start trying to solve my problems, when I hadn't asked to be helped in the first case.

That is why I reacted as I did in the way that I did.

This is not a Facebook discussion, where a comment invites a response which then gets a biting response.

• Posted

Hi again, Nick

Sorry if  came across as 'biting'. Totally non-intentional, I assure you.

Strange how different medicines affect different people.

Pregabalin affected me very badly, despite it having been sold to me on the basis of it being a good replacement for the Prozac. 

My difficulty is in trying to work out how ill I am, from the levels of medication being prescribed.

Thank you very much, 

Stuart

• Posted

Your social worker or support worker should tell you whether you are getting better or not. Your meds might be causing some of the symptoms you are complaining of - for instance, when I stopped taking Lithium I stopped shaking and my memory improved. I am not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. My only observation is that if I compare your dosages with mine they do seem very large.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.