I'd like information about tapering from mirtazapine (30mg to 15mg)

Posted , 5 users are following.

A bit of background information-

I was on 15 mirtazapine for three years and weaned myself off them successfully (very slowly, took me just over a year).

To to stresses in life I had to go back on them. I went back on 15mg but they didn't seem to work, so the gp upped the dose to 30mg.

Well I've been on 30mg for 6 months now and they have really helped my mood (though sonetimes I do feel a little numb)! But they make me extremely tired! I know sedation is one of the effects of this pill, but the exhaustion is killing me, it's really extreme to the point where it's taking over my life. I can't do my job to the best of my ability and I'm quite snappy, also, I sonetimes feel like I'm in a dream, really spaced out.

It's so bad that I actually think I might have chronic fatigue syndrome. BUT, I know that it could just be (and I hope that it is) the tablets making me feel this way. There's only one way to find out and that's lowering the dose.

So if you have gone from 30mg to 15mg I'd like to know how you did it, how easy it was and any side effects you had?

When I came off the tablets last time j didn't drop the dose, I took them alternate nights, then one every three nights so I have no experience of this.

I know that it effects everyone differently but Any information on the best way to do it would be immensely appreciated.

Also, I'm happy to answer any questions about how I successfully came off them in the past.

Thank you x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Becky, my doctor stopped 15 mirtazapine but increased venlaflaxine, I haven't noticed any side effects since coming off mirt, in fact I feel a little better as I'm starting to lose weight which is a good thing as the weight gain really got to me.

Have you considered going back to your doc & having a chat? It may be that your meds need a little tweaking, I probably wouldn't reduce the meds without talking to your first, I'm sorry that wasn't much help, I hope you're feeling better soon x

• Posted

Hey just remember that if ur feeling extremely tired on 30 going down to 15 will make u worse as with this med the lower the dose the more sedatory effect it has x good luk take care.
  • Posted

Best way I know is to take one 15 one night of the week for a week or 2 or however long it takes, then 2 doses a week, etc til you are on all 15.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Sorry to have to report that i used this method -down to 15mg one day a week for a couple of weeks, then 2 days a week, and was hit by escalating withdrawal symptoms from about a month onwards, which continued getting worse even after I went back to 30mg every day. After 3 weeks back on 30, I'm just beginning to feel well again, as I was before I started the reduction. So it can be hard!
    • Posted

Wow, pixie, that's the CITA method. You are the first one I've heard say that. But I realize we are all different. Seems it's hard no matter what method you try.
  • Posted

hi becky, that's how i feel on the increased dose of mirtzapine.  i am trying to find an alternative combination of drugs, less mirtz with something else.  i am very sensitive to these medicaions, but i can't stand the fatigue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.