I'd like to hear from someone who have had phlebectomy and sclerotherapy in vericose veins

Posted , 3 users are following.

Did it stop leg pain and legs getting tired easily?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sonia!

I had ablation of my saphanous (sp.?) vein in my left leg and subsequent spider vein injections of the soap substance to eliminate the unsightly blue veins four years ago. The vein procedure was pretty easy. The injections of lidocaine (15 of them!!!) felt like bee stings. I went back four different times for the spider veins.

My legs looked much better for our Florida trip in 2013.😄 I had the procedure of removal of the saphanous vein to ward off any possibility of a DVT blood clot.

Aches were less after the procedure, but since I had bad knees full of arthritis, it was a toss up if my legs actually felt any better after the vein procedures.

Two years later I had both knees replaced. HUGE DIFFERENCE there, and I was REALLY glad I got those surgeries.😁😁

As for aches and heaviness in my legs due to varicose veins, I think I have just gotten used to that! My knees hurt SO MUCH WORSE that it really didn't matter too much!

My spider veins DID stay away.😄 I now have NEW ONES!😖 My ankles have been especially inundated with those ugly purple/black buggers!!!😬I feel really good since my knee surgeries, so I am pretty active. That could explain the new spider veins.

Either way, I always go for what will keep me healthy and able to get back to having the life I want. Cosmetic procedures aren't that important to me, but "finishing the job" getting the spider veins done just seemed right at the time. Who knew that I would just have replacement spider veins form SOMEWHERE ELSE??!!🤔

Ibuprofen helps.

Compression stockings help.

Walking and moving helps.

Elevating legs helps.

Ice helps.

Varicose veins are hereditary. Both sides of my family have them. Our elite athlete son who is in top physical shape has REAL DOOZIES of ropey veins in both legs. You can't fight heredity!😖

I hope you hear from others. They may have differing stories and opinions.

Wishing you all the best!

Stay strong!??

• Posted

Thank you so much for your lengthy reply!  I'm hoping to get some more replies from people who have had the bigger blue vericose veins removed through phlebectomy and/or the smaller spider veins through sclerotherapy.  I'm only 42 and my vericose veins got really bad after my four pregnancies- but I'm done having kids, and I'm wondering if having the procedures done will really help since my legs get tired easily and ache in the evenings.  I am not very overweight (maybe a little tiny bit) but I haven't exercised on a regular basis in many years, so I don't know if this is just not being strong and not using my muscles much....  Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.