I'd taken paxil 10 mg for a week and then quit it cold turkey. Worried about withdrawal symptoms.

Posted , 2 users are following.

2 months ago my life was perfect. I'd never been happier but...

1.5 months ago my insomnia started which triggered depression. So, not being able to take it anymore i went to a psychiatrist and he put me on paxil 10 mg and benzo... without telling me the side effects

I took the meds for a week and started noticing numbness in senses. It turned me into a zombie, robbed me of my emotions.

Horrified, i quit it cold turkey. Today is the 5th day since i quit and still have memory issues and penile numbness. Though the pleasure from orgasms seems to be coming back, it is not even close to what i used to feel some 2 months back. I'm not able to empathize with anyone now. I'm afraid I've lost my ability to fall in love.

My main concern is my sexuality. Will the partial numbness around my crotch area ever go away? When will it go? will i ever be able to empathize with someone? will i ever be able to fall in love?

I'm young and my life has just begun and I'm already feeling that I've done something to my body which I'll be regretting for the rest of my life. All this is causing me a lot of worry as stress. I'm always thinking about the past when i was healthy and happy.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Harry,

I can totally empathize with you, it must be very scary going through withdrawal from both drugs.

My partner has been on Paxil for approx 15 years after having been prescribed it for alcoholism.

He has been alcohol free for 15 years now, which is a remarkable feat in itself.

Earlier this year he decided that he wanted to come off it because of the effect on his sexual function, delayed ejaculation and erectile problems. However the doctor had no idea about how slowly one should taper from these powerful drugs, yes as you say they do numb the emotions.

I am glad to see that you noticed the effect quite rapidly and I can only tell you that time will be the healer. As you have not been on these drugs very long I would hope you will recover very soon. as far as being able to fall in love, that happens when you least expect it.

I have been with my partner for 3 years now and appreciate the sexual side effects of this medication.

He was unfortunately brought down way too quickly and it was nothing short of a nightmare for us both. He is now on a much lower dose and is staying on that for the moment.

I can only advise that you speak to your doctor who may be able to help, perhaps going cold turkey as you have done is a bit severe. I wish you all the best for the future, Bless you

• Posted

Was he physically numb too? I cannot feel the sensations of caress. Will It ever heal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.