I did it!

Posted , 10 users are following.

After being on Venlafaxine 225mg for 18 years, I stopped cold turkey. It's been almost 3 weeks now and I feel so different. But in a good way! The first week was awful but still not quite as bad as I had anticipated. I'm still having moments of extreme irritability, sensitivities to light, and problems sleeping. Ironically, sleeping was all I used to do. I stayed sleepy. I could write you a book about my experiences taking that terrible medicine!

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Continuation. PC went funny. sorry.

Anyway, today it's Friday and the zaps are getting less intense every day. They are definitely stil there and still wake me up during the night, but they seem less painful and If I keep busy I forget they are there until I start to relax. I don't know if it's because I'm getting used to them or if they are actually reducing in intensity but they are better.

My head feels clearer every day, I no longer feel sick or get headaches and I think i can do this.

I know there are many reasons to not stop venlafaxine as quickly as I have and I'm under no illusions that I've done it yet. I'm well aware that the worst may be yet to come, but what has kept me going is that I have been saying to myself every day that I'm still alive, the withdrawal hasn't killed me and it's getting easier every day. The brain zaps are by far the worst symptom and maybe they may never stop entirely, but I'm determined to give it a go for as long as I can hold out or unless I have a relapse of depression

Anyway, I hope that this has been of use to anyone wondering how to get off Venlafaxine and if it helps anyone the. It's been worth the post.

i have no idea how much the supplements I've been taking have helped but I didn't start the 5HTP until Monday night (2 before bed) but that's the one that is supposed to try and help the brain readjust itself quicker to having no venlafaxine ( which causes the zaps) and since I've been taking it they have definitely lessened in intensity.

hope this helps someone,

Liz

• Posted

hey Liz, Keep going, u r doing well !!

am on day 14, zaps are almost gone, am feeling fine, head i sbecmoing clearer now though it took few days to get here. Only problme now is a bit of tiredness. am sure it shall pass too.

i have used muti-vitamins, fresh juices, occasional chocolate treats (for immediate help). 

Good Luck !!

• Posted

Thank you. I will def keep going unless it all goes horribly wrong, but I'm staying hopeful and positive.

Glad you're doing well too. Keep updating so we can all spur each other on.

• Posted

Hi all.

It's day 9 of cold turkey for me and although the zaps and headaches are getting better I am extremely irritable. It started yesterday and I'm ready to kill anyone who gets in my way. I feel like a coiled spring about to explode.

Is this normal for withdrawal or is it a sign I actually do need the meds?

I suppose I need to wait it out but any advice and experience is very much appreciate.

Thanks

Liz

• Posted

It is a 'normal' sign of withdrawal. It will be more intense for those who are quitting before actually having stabilized. If it worsens and you can barely stop yourself from harming someone or yourself you may want to call your doctor or go to A&E. If you have prescription tranquilizers it is good to take them for a few days until you hopefully balance out. Speak to your doctor about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.