I did something big tonight.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ten minutes ago I came out to relative, told her I was gay. Via text, she hasn't responded yet n I've gotten my hyperventilation under control. She could accept me or tell other relatives n everybody could disown me. Either way I feel proud of myself no matter the reaction in the morning.

One big reason anxiety n depression has been kicking my ass is because I've had to lie for so long while watching the rest of the world live their life.

I'm not sure what's gonna happen now but for the first time in a long time I was honest n stood up for myself. So why do I feel I made a big stupid mistake?

4 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I'm not lesbian, but I am bisexual. I don't think I was ever really scared to come out to my immediate family, but maybe my grandparents? My grandma still doesn't know, because I've been with way more guys than I have with girls. Anyways, I know this isn't much, but I'm proud of you. Don't you go feeling like you've made a big mistake. You want to stop worrying about keeping things on the low. You're always having to hide who you TRULY are. That's stressful, and it can make you feel like you'll never be truly content around them, like you should be with your family. If they don't accept you, it's going to hurt a lot, BUT if they really love you, they'll still care about you and won't hate you for the way you are. Best of luck, hon.
    • Posted

I may be taking this the wrong way, but i'd like to ask. Why many people who identify as bi have to make statements like " I'm not lesbian, but I am bisexual." It makes it sound like to be a lesbian is some how bad, but if your bi it somehow makes it better. I never understood that.

• Posted

Because being a lesbian and Bi are two different things, I don't think its because they want to make themselves sound better its because they want people to know that they like both sexes and want to be identified as such x

• Posted

Of course I know they're two different things, I just don't get why people who are bi, just can't start off by saying they're bi?  I don't know. People used to say this all the time in the 80s, and it bothered me. I guess its a byproduct of getting old.. LOL

• Posted

Hi Nattalie, what you did took a lot of courage. It's unfortunate others have to judge and not allow you to be who you are. I hope your family accepts the real you as there is nobody else you can honestly be. I've known lots of gay people in my life and found them to be some of the nicest people. I'm glad you took this step and hope all goes well for you. Those who don't accept you, well, it's their loss.

Brian

• Posted

Thanks you guys, lastnight I feel asleep immediately after posting. My cousin still hasn't responded but it looked like she hasn't been online since either. So I'm still waiting, I feel better about it this morning.

I'm ready to let my family go if they'd hate me for something as simple as not wanting to marry n spend the rest of my life with a guy. There's a lot more to me and if they single this out then I'm prepared to let them go. Hiding who I am just so they can be comfortable is driving me nuts. I'll be ok either way.

• Posted

Could you consider calling or meeting your family member? This would be understood better and appreciated more hearing your heartfelt thoughts live!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.