I dislocated my should in November, is the best decision to have an Op?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I dislocated my shoulder in November twice, and fractured it a little. Nowadays I don't really have much pain at all but I have been taking it easy (not going gym, even currently out of work). The doctor said I have a 80%-90% chance of dislocation again so I agreed to go on a waiting list for an op in January. Well its July now and they rang and said they can get me in next Wednesday. I'm just curious now if its the best option? I'm 21 and they want to lock it into place apparently to prevent further dislocation. As I said I've been taking it easy and haven't really had any problems since the accident. The only problem I'm seeing here is the obvious risk of them messing up the op and the fact he said I'd be out of action for a solid 6 months! That to me is crazy, Idk what I'd do with myself. So I'm just asking if theres someone with more knowledge on this subject than me if its the right call. Thankyou for reading. Sam

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sam,

I think you should do the Op because:

- you are not living your life normally, you are just 21! How long can you continue taking it easy?

- the damage to your shoulder won't get fixed by waiting

- next dislocation can be worst and very painful.

I am not a doctor. This is just my opinion. Good luck!

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply!

I agree, my lifestyle isn't purely just based on the shoulder, its a factor of many things but I definately agree. They said if I was older it wouldn't of been too much of a problem because I think you're much less prone to dislocation when you're older. 

• Posted

Have you gotten a second opinion? Shoulder surgery is no walk in the park, definitely a good 6 months or more for healing.
    • Posted

True, the surgery is no walk in the park but it's the only way out. What do you do when you break...let's say the joint of your building's rubbish room door. If you don't repair it and continue using it at same point the second joint is going to brake as well, the door is going to collapse on the floor breaking up a little and damaging the floor below.

You can decide not to move the door anymore and leave it close but if you do so you won't be able to use the rubbish room anymore and the all building will pay the consequences (Sam's "taking it easy": no normal life at 21!  and innatural/unbalanced movements of the back muscolature due to fear of dislocation. Phisical consequences? posture problems, back pain, neck pain ecc...Mental/phsycological consequences? I let you establish that).

You can rather decide to leave the door open (try to leave normally without limitations despite of the pain: this was my way smile ) and let the rubbish smell (inflamation) go around freely and infect all of the flats in the building. You will inevitabily have another dislocation sooner or later and find yourself in this situation again but with a bit more damage to your shoulder due to another dislocation and more pain to handle.

If you tried already to repair the door joint with sellotape (exercising/renforcing the surranding musculature tring to keep the joint in place) and it didn't work it is because the joint is too damaged to be repaired in this nice, gentle, easy way.

I personally look forward to have the op done as soon as possible. Ready to go through what is going to take. I want to play tennis again and volleyball and be myself again. I am 38!

• Posted

Sorry to read your post.  21 is very young.  WOW, long wait for care.  Curious, where do you live?  Why do you have to be placed on a waiting list?  What damage is there to the rotator cuff muscles/tendons from the dislocations?  What does fractured a little mean?  Hairline fracture?  Spiral fracture?  Where is the fracture?  Have you been to physical therapy to aid in body mechanics which could help reduce further dislocations?  Subluxation, dislocation, anterior migration, superior migration...Did you have the surgery in July?  How are you doing?
    • Posted

Yes it was a rather long wait. I live in the Midlands UK, and they said it would be a long wait due to surgery being in high demand at the hospital (possibly short staffed?). All I really know is it was a rotator cuff repair, they did open keyhole surgery, numbed my nerve in my arm, put me to sleep and clamped it in. I went to physio  beforehand but the surgeon reccommended that I had to the surgery because I was so young and prone to further dislocations which could lead to further damage throughout my life. Anyway, I can gladly say the surgery went successful just shy of 3 weeks ago. I have now started to go about my day without the cast and there is virtually no pain. (Just wear the cast to sleep in really). Theres still a long way to go on the physio therapy side of things, but I am keeping my arm rather stationary and limiting my movements. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.