I do not trust my MRI results.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 20 year old female who has never had a knee injury or problem. Two weeks ago, I fell from about 4 feet and planted on my feet. I had immediate pain in my knee. I t was suspected I tore my meniscus and LCL. The pain was severe enough for perscribed narcotics. I was referred to an ortho who then sent me for an MRI.

I went online to look at my results from the MRI and all I can say is WTF?! The radiologist reported no tears or ligaments, cartilage, or meniscus. Instead, they reported patellofemoral maltracking due to swelling of my Hoffa Fat Pad. I don't believe this at all. I have pain over the side of my knee going into the back. Every time I take a step, I have a burning sensation. It's uncomfortable for me to fully bend or straighten the leg. I am going to have my ortho take a very close look at this MRI.

If the radiologist happened to be right, has anyone suffered from patellofemoral maltracking? If so how did you treat it? Did it work? I am twenty years old. I don't want a short term treatment! Any opinions?!

If you'd like to see a photo of my MRI I am happy to show you as well.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Most years come from torquing or twisting action and not from land flag on the feet. Damaged caused by that action is compression related. Someone else was on here a few weeks back with maltracking problem but it seemed like it was a post tkr situation. Where are you located and what sort of facility is doing the work. There is a basic protocol for restoring the knee and as I recall it does take some time for healing and physical therapy as the final stage. Keep us advised as to your progress. Possibly the individual with the problem is still on the forum. If not there will be Someone that will remember the exact reference and will get you connected.
  • Posted

Hi firstly how do you get access to look at your MRI results online? I injured my knee playing netball, had a MRI when i went to see my consultant for the results and he said he couldent see anything. And surely it would of said in the report from the MRI. Anyway the next time i went to see my consultant he said that i had tore my meniscus (cartlidge).

The radiologist's are highly experienced & qualified so the results are proberly what you have done.Your in your rights to get a 2nd opion. The pain when bending and straighing your knee is because you have caused a injury inside.Is it swollen?

• Posted

The hospital I had my MRI through has an online portal where you can access the results of tests you've had done. 

I had a hand MRI last year which pointed to the obvious non functioning volar plate but the radiologist completely missed a tendon that was ripped off the bone which also completely ruptured. I trust the radiologist to an extent but things can be missed and in this case, I definetely believe they missed something. The tracking may be part of the issue but I can feel catching every step I take (more than likely meniscus). 

Yes, I have had localized swelling for two weeks on the lateral part of my knee, right over my LCL. 

• Posted

Do you have a degree in anatomy, or any medical degree?  You landed on your feet and the shock waves travelled up from your feet, through your knees.  As you landed you most probably bent your knees a bit!  Impact would not necessarily tear ligaments or any other tissue.  You could have damaged the under side of your patella as it hit the heads of your bones. Of course it is going to hurt very time you put weight on your leg.  have you had a normal x-ray, perhaps you should. It is not down to you to self treat at this stage, it would be rather irrational and you will just end up doing more damage.  Age has nothing to do with injuries.  Being young, means there is a possibility of you healing quicker.  Listen to what the medical people have to say.  stop trying to walk on it.  Rest, ice and elevate until you have a answer. If you don't see an improvement after treatment, then you can start telling them what they are doing wrong; it won't get you very far.  And you will just end up getting stressed.  Not being able to walk due to pain is exceedingly frustrating, especially if you lead an active life.  Just stop, take a deep breath.  Let the medics do their job.
    • Posted

I am working towards an MD as we speak. Aced A&P classes. I know what is generally normal and what is not. Reading a MRI is not my strong point. I am able to fully inturput the radiology repoty on my on. Impact can damage cartilage, soft tissue and ligaments. Very probable I did not land in a perfect postion, easily could have twisted. It happened so fast I don't know. I've dealt with severe pain for two weeks as of today. Vicodin hardly takes the edge off. 

I've followed every treatment plan given to me and still cannot find relief. I've been on crtuches, I've taken 3 advils every 6 hours, I have iced, I have rested as much as I can. 

• Posted

Have you heard of the expression "physician heal thyself".  If you are within the industry book an appointment with a ortho consultant.  That way you can tell him your thoughts and he will listen and either agree with you or tell you something completely different.  You should know that tissue damage and bruised bones take a hell of a lot longer to heal than a broken bone.  If you are in agony ask for something stronger.  At this point do not self diagnose. Have a little patience. 
    • Posted

A bone bruise and any tissue damage would clearly show up on an MRI. A bruised bone shows up as a dark spot. None of that is on the MRI. You would be able to see tissue damage from swelling or small fibers that are torn. 

They will not perscribe anything stronger until I have a diagnosis. I have a appointment set up for next week to go over results. Just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion regarding the maltracking or if they have expierenced that for themselves. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.