I don't believe you...(contraversial topic)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Alot of people here...say they don't drink and drive.  I don't believe it....However, I do know that my sister has NEVER had any alcohol and driven a car.  She has always been "fearful" of not being able to drive...as she is handicapped without alcohol.  BUT, I know my sister and if she didn't have that handicap....she would have at least at one time drank and drove.

​Maybe it is just my "brain"...because when I used to drink when I was younger I REALLY believed that EVERYONE drank....and everyone does not drink.  So I could be wrong on this topic.

​But, I find it really hard to believe that almost every person on here says the store is in walking distance from their home.  I do believe that some people really do walk...but I do not believe that EVERYONE here has a store with liquor THAT close to their home.

The store has always been within walking distance from my home and I NEVER walked there.  Sometimes I felt in better shape after work once I got some alcohol into my system.  I can shamefully say...I have always drove after drinking...I had to bring my kids to school functions...or to the mall on the weekend (drop them off and pick them up).

​I will say on the days that I had to drop them at the mall..I tried to minimize my drinking until I picked them up.  I always also had a beer with me while I was driving.  I sadly regret one day my son picked up my "cup" after a basketball game because he was thirsty  (I always brought him a bottle of water..didn't that day)....and I reacted by slapping the cup out of his mouth.

​I was horrified..and needless ...really...needless to say he was horrified to...I never felt so bad in my life, I never had raised a hand to either of my kids...and I did for THAT BEER....2 reasons...1 - I didn't want him to know it was BEER....and 2...I was worried about him ingesting the BEER.

​I admit that God was with me and many people the many times I drove drunk.  This last bender...I really TRIED not to drink under the influence. I would get the beer or vodka early in the a.m. and then stay home.

​But, apparently I did drive a couple times drunk because my friend at the store...told me I did...and that I came in the store and asked her to cash a check...very scary...cause I did not remember it....I was telling her how I didn't drive drunk this time around...and she responded with that story for me....Thank GOD....I never hurt anyone and I never GOT CAUGHT.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No, no, I have never driven after having a drink, never.  But then again, I have never had a drink before 8pm unless I was at a wedding or Christmas or something.  When my girls were young I never had a drink until they went to bed, so they never saw me drinking.

I guess I wasn't as dependent as some, but I could not go to bed without a drink and I am still the same. 

But I swear I have never got in my car with any drink in me, and I never will.

Pat.

• Posted

MANY people do not believe they drink and drive. I am always finding seriously shocked clients who are over the limit when I breathalyse them. It can be lunch time and they haven't had a drink since the previous day and they are over the driving limit.

You don't even need to have an alcohol issue. Many people have a drink in the evening so they act responsibly and get a taxi. Then they drive to work the next day, totally oblivious to the fact that they are still over the limit. 4 or 5 units can put you over the limit. It takes the body an average of one hour to get rid of one unit. Two bottles of wine is around 18 units. Do the maths smile Or the 'math' if you are American smile This message is to everybody, not just to Missy smile

• Posted

That is how I got caught. Driving in the morning,  after a late night party. I never even thought about it. However a court appearance, a years ban and my name in the paper, was enough to stop me driving for life.
    • Posted

i think every car should have a breathalyzer in it.

​The end...then no one can drive drunk and deaths and accidents would reduce.  They make all these fancy cars...with gadgets...just add the breathalyzer

• Posted

I think everyone should have gun ownership taken away from them. Then no one would get shot or killed.

In fact that is what they have done in the UK. I do hope that no one would think that that is the Nanny State playing Big Brother and telling people what to do and no one would object to it because it saves lives. In fact, if we took car ownership away from people, no would would ever get hit or injured by a car. We also could ban all unhealthy foods, which would mean the end of fast food, but it would reduce the health bill and combat obesity.

In fact I'd like a government that I didn't vote for, to make every decision for me in my life.

See where this can lead to. Becareful what you wish for.

• Posted

I think that would be a great idea, Misssy, just as a personal aid.  If you had been drinking the night before and were unsure if you may still be over the legal limit, it would be great.

Yes, a very good idea.

• Posted

The suggestion wasn't as a personal aid, It was to be part of the car, immobilised as it were.

There is a chasm of difference between having a breathaliser in the car as a personal aid and a disabling device fitted to the car.

• Posted

I've pretty much always been an evening drinker, although I used to make up for lost time. I used to do about 35k miles pa, so when I got home, that car never moved, I was so fed up of driving.

But moving onto to what Paul was saying, I did probably get up some mornings, and drive whilst over the limit, in fact I'm sure I did. But here is a little story that annoyed me somewhat.

Staying in hotels away from home was a weekly occurence, in fact when I first started, I used to leave on a monday and come home on Friday. You'd check in, have a shower, then have something to eat, a few pints or a bottle of wine with it, probably back to the bar for one, and then off to bed, once you'd hung up everything for the next morning, so you'd be in bed at a decent time.

The trouble came when it was dealer entertainment, and they would be staying at the hotel, and there would be a group of staff and guests. Of course the booze would always be free, on the company (it was always free for us, we just stuck it on expenses, but in this case it was our job to see we paid for eveyone's drinks) and the guests would want to drink shorts until the early hours.

Anyway, following one of these do's at Blackpool FC, a lot of people had a long drive the following morning to be home for the weekend. We had a sales meeting the next week and at that, one of the other area managers (Scottish) said he was a Special Constable, we all realised at that point why we'd never like him, and though there was something funny about him.

Any way, he mentioned how that now, because people where being sensible and leaving their cars at pubs and getting a taxi home, they now targetted pub car parks in the morning, wiating for people to get out of taxis and breathalise them once they had started the vehicle. I must admit, my first thought rhymed with anchor, along with everyone else. As this didn't smack of trying to catch habitual drinkers, but looking for soft easy 'nicks'.

He then proceeded to push the national sales manager on the point (this was in a sales meeting, with about five area managers), to give the company's view on this situation, where staff may have stayed up late and then driven in the morning. The NSM's reply was they were all adults and grown ups and it was their responsibility for their actions and it was not the business of the company to pass comment. But he wouldn't let it go, trying to get the NSM to say that it was wrong and that the company should be condemning it. He kept pushing it, until he was told to eff off and mind his own business and then told he would be first up, to talk about his territory and explain the reason he missed his sales target for the month.

So do keep a watch out for early morning driving and no doubt we'll have the limit reduced to the same as Scotland and then it will be almost impossible to drink and use a car, because virtually anything will have you over the limit.

• Posted

Well, RHGB.....you have worked out the situation, again.  Several years ago, I was at a Prestigious Venue, for a DinnerDanceBreakfast...it was fab.  When leaving, the next morning... there were police cars , down the road, agogo.  Stopping as many as they could.  My husband was driving. It must be nearly 10 years ago. We were not stopped... but skidded on ice, badly. Alcohol did not play a part...my husband was driving.  He realised that if he had been stopped...It might have been a different story.

He knows when enough is enough.

• Posted

my mother once called my company because they put on many events that involved drinking.  It was a Pharmaceutical company...meant to save lives..and she was appalled that they would condone people getting drunk at their functions.  I do agree....that companies...should not do that...Although I was severly p*ssed at my mother for staing my name...saying I was an alcohlic...and how mad she was that they allowed drinking on the premisis and at functions.

​This led to...the company only allowing 2 drink tokens for each attendie...and we would give them away based on who needed them.  I got many drink tokens from my friends that didn't drink...hence I was always drunk enough when I left a function and driving.

• Posted

We were lucky, we had unlimited expense accounts, never put our hand in our pocket for anything.

I used to make sure I bought the office staff loads of rounds of drinks at the Christmas party, to stop them paying bar prices, I think I pushed it over £200 one year.

• Posted

I don't think I ever heard you mention your husband before.

Are you still married?

​I feel bad for people that around "us".....and this pitiful cycle of drinking..not drinking...recovering...giving up on recovering...UGH.

• Posted

I don't mention him much.  He is not supportive in my battle with booze.  He just says "Don't drink...at all...ever".  He thinks this Sinclair Method is a load of rubbish.  I still have to hide all signs of drinking from him.  I smuggle bottles in.  I smuggle empty bottles out.  We have been married for 35 years.  I stay with him because I am too afraid to be really alone.  That is the sad truth of it.

He does not understand my total addiction.

My drunken behaviour disgusts him.

It disgusts me, as well.

When he criticises me, I just drink more.

There is no easy answer.

How are you feeling, now Misssy?

Cheers !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I understand your situation...I have had it for 22 years..and I left it.

I am drunk now..I need to DRIVE to the store..and get cigs and beer.

​Tommorow is another day..I need to NOT drink tommorow..You should be in bed now...sleep tight.

• Posted

I am worried about you driving, now.

Check back with me later.  I don't sleep during the night.  It is 5 minutes past Midnight, here.  I spend a lot of time in bed.  Lying down eases my pains.

I just don't sleep much !

Take care, my friend.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Are you ok Misssy?

It is 3:30a.m. here.  I really don't sleep much !

Did you go for more beer?

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi...I see you said you are having trouble with your computer.

​Yes, I did go get more beer...I threw up....too.

​And then drank 2 more beers...ugh.  I am NOT going to drink today even thou there are about 8 beers sitting across from me in my living room.  I think I drank 15 beers yesterday.  I felt like CRAP all day too.

I took a nap and woke up feeling worse.

​This morning I feel horrible...but I can't reach for a beer.  Its really weird how 2 days of drinking...messed me up emotionally so quickly.  I was very happy for about 75 days...maybe stressed out..but not SICK on top it.

• Posted

God intervened with the techno stuff.  Thank you, Dear Lord.  I was distraught !  This iPad is my salvation, at the moment.  I was nearly "down the drain" before I found this Forum. 

I am so pleased to be able to communicate with you.

Now, Misssy...please, don't take this the wrong way... but ... you will probably drink those beers... because they are there.  I would... because they were there... I don't even like beer... but it has alcohol.  I like alcohol in any shape or form.  

I hope you can summon the strength to "fight again"!  The beast is big. BIG.

Hey... I am making a mess of it, as well.  I have overdone the "Units"...I hate those freaking unit measures...how many freaking nails does it take to nail me to my own personal cross?

I hope you feel better soon, my friend.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I'm not going to drink them....I can't....I feel so horrible from drinking for the past 2 days...no appetite but my stomach is making all kinds of noises.

​I have to go clean the sink where I vomited last night....I'm glad you are ok with your computer...LOL

• Posted

Aw thanks, Misssy.  I hope you feel a lot better very soon.

• Posted

Sorry you had such a tough day yesterday Misssy! I hope you're able to recover today and gather your strength. Please get those beers out of the house, pour them down the drain, get them away somehow.

"Its really weird how 2 days of drinking...messed me up emotionally so quickly."

Yes, the drink messes with everything, mind and body. It certainly won't help you at all with BPD, it will only make things worse for you. Is there a meeting you can go to today, so you can get some face-to-face support? I know it must have been awful hearing about the BPD diagnosis, but at least you know what it is now. You can take steps to address it rather than having to guess at this and that and getting the wrong treatments for the problem. 

May you soon feel better in all ways, Misssy!

"

• Posted

Big difference between how I feel emotinally now compared to how I felt this a.m.  This forum and people like you helped  me remain sober today.

​I'm just bla right now..but it is better than being drunk..I'm not so hungover anymore...I drank lots of water today...and ate food.  On the way back to a healthier place.  Looking forward to bed time.

• Posted

Hi Misssy,  I am glad you are getting better... after the beer blip.

May I ask what the BPD is?

• Posted

That's really good news! It was a tough fight, but you got the upper hand and soon it will be days behind you. Sleep well, Misssy. Tomorrow is going to feel a lot better to you!
    • Posted

Hi Misssy,

I read your other Post... Discussion and know about your B.P.D. now.

I didn't get a Notification about that Discussion.  

I hope you feel well when you wake up.  Well and strong enough to do battle again.  We just have to keep trying.  It is tough at times(understatement).

Have a good day,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Feeling better today....did some walking...sunning....tired..but sober.

• Posted

Well done you!!  I think you are amazingly strong.  I hope you sleep well.

Pat xxx

• Posted

Sounds good, Misssy. After a good night's rest, you should be in better shape to take on the week ahead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.