I don't feel myself but my thyroid is fine!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a underactive thyriod last year, I take levothyroxine 25 one day and 50 the next. I've been feeling so so tired recently but I cant sleep on a night, I have muscle aches in my body and recently some aches in my hand sometimes and I just generally don't feel myself , I had my bloods done the other day and surprisingly they've came back fine, any ideas why I'm feeling like this please?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Saffron, my experience with the levothyroxin was horrible. The side effects were worse than the disease, and it actually worsened hypothyroid symptoms. I feel that this medication generally results in "in range" blood tests, but does little to actually treat hypothyroid symptoms.

There are literally thousands of posts similar to yours. So you see, your situation is not unusual. Many people find they can control or curb their hypothyroid symptoms with diet and supplements, as well as with NDTs and even supplemental glandulars. There are many posts on this.

• Posted

Thank you for your response could you let me know what supplements I could take please
    • Posted

Hi Saffron, I tried many supplements. It really depends on how desperate you are and how natural you want to go.  I can send you a pm on which brand names I've found to be most effective. The traditional belief is that people are deficient in iodine. However, a natural iodine is best, bladderwrack is a good source. Be careful, as iodine can be toxic if you take too much, hence the natural source. The other limiting factor is tyrosine. Your body produces tyrosine from the protein you eat. However, people are often deficient. If you're deficient in one amino acid, (tyrosine), you're likely deficient in others. I have found essential amino acid supplements to be as effective as the thyroid medications. So these are crucial.

In addition, many deficiencies can cause hypothyroid symptoms, so I like to take a good quality multivitamin and multimineral, just to make it easy. Vitamin B deficiencies are particularly important, and I like to make sure I get coblimated Bs in my multi because these are most likely to be used by the body.

Diet wise, it's best to do a paleo style diet, that is very strictly glutenfree. You can cheat on other things, but absolutely no gluten. 

Thyroid disease is autoimmune, so the key is 1) calming your immune system by reducing food triggers such as dairy, soy, corn, wheat. And 2) supporting your body by providing the building blocks-amino acids and other nutrients- that your body needs to repair itself. 

Lastly, ThyroGold is a glandular thyroid supplement that is sold without a prescription. Many people find this to be much better than the meds, and with way less side effects. You can order this online. If you can't find it, I can send you a link for this as well.

That at should be plenty to get you started. You'll need to do some extensive research on gluten free and paleo diets.

Let me know if you'd like me to pm you with a list of my favorite resources for various supplements.

• Posted

Are all people with hypothyroidism supposed to avoid dairy, soy corn and wheat?  I am a vegetarian and asked my endocronologist if I needed to change anything in my diet.  He said no.
  • Posted

Yes.. you should be seeing an endocrinologist.  Also.. just because your TSH came back in the "normal range" doesn't mean that it's where it should be.  My endo told me that most of his patients need their TSH around 1.00 to feel their best.  This is true for myself too.  I did not feel good until my TSH was at 0.95.  Now I feel great.  Do you happen to know your level?

• Posted

Thank you how do I go around seeing one do I need to ask my doctor? And no I don't know what it is

• Posted

My doctors have told me nothing to be honest the only information I know is off the Internet sor trying to get as much information as possible and enquiring to see an endocrinologist
    • Posted

I've rang the doctors and my result was 1.83

• Posted

This discussion is very helpful. My TSH was 5.62.  I was put on 25 mg Synthroid. At 6 weeks my TSH was down to 3.99 (Normal range is .36-3.74)  I felt no improvement.  The doctor never asked how I felt but upped my dosage to 50 mg which I started May 16.  I still don't feel any better.  I switched to an Endocronologist who said if I didn't feel any better by my next labs he would try a different medication.  Does anyone know of any other types of Rx that he could prescribe?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.