I don’t know if it’s costochondritis or something else

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im a 24 year old female. For the past 3-4 months now i have been getting pressure, tightness, burning sensation in my chest and sometimes it radiates to my shoulders. i have been in and out of the emergency room 3 times and the last time i went the doctor diagnosed me with costro. i also get breathlessness and have a rapid pulse sometimes even when there is no pain. i am really worried that it might be something to do with my heart. i have had many ecg, ive also had a chest x ray and my bloods have been checked for any heart distress. All came back clear. Im really worried and was just wanting to see if anyone else is in the same boat?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi, sorry to hear. Ive been going through the same. Doctor thinks its costochondritus. ive had it 3 months along with other symptoms like leg tingling, fatigue and head pressure / grogginess. I have had to cut down ny hours at work. Tests I’ve had so far have been clear.

2 x chest X-rays

Echocardiogram

24 hour cardiac tape

Repeated ECGs

Abdomen scan

Gastroscopy

Repeated bloods

hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

HI,

I wanted to reply to let you know that I have exactly the same symptoms right down to the breathlessness.

I have had all the tests done, stress test etc and all come back clear.I have been to emergency as well and each time everything comes back clear and always the same diagnosis- COSTO.It's scary and most times I can not have it elevate my anxiety but not so today. I was told by my Dr. to lift light weights to help strengthen the area and so I tried again on the weekend and that has aggravated the COSTO. What I do to reassure myself is I press on my ribs and on where it feels sore in the back and if it hurts then i know that it is my COSTO irritated - according to the emergency drs - pressing is a pretty onthe area and feeling pain is a pretty clear indication that its inflamation. I find putting ice on it every night and taking some tylenol helps get it back under control.I hope this helps to reassure you in some way. I know a few people who had costo and had to go to physio for over a year but its gone for them now. I've had it for about 2 years now- try not to lift heavy objects, stretch the area if you can, ice it, tylenol, naproxen was prescribed as well to me, try not to lift your arms over your head - that pulls the area.

Good Luck - I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi

I’m sorry this is going on to you. Unfortunately the diagnosis of costo can take some time and like you most do end up in Ed thinking the worst. Ruling out everything is the right first step.

It sounds like you are still worried it might be something more serious but in the meantime try to treat the costo and see what happens. Find yourself a good professional that can help you (Physio osteo good massage therapist etc) the tightness you mention wrapping around your shoulder blade is very normal for costo if you can work with someone to relieve that pain that will help. I got myself a backpod have a look at those helps so much with the tightness involved with this condition. I also stretch daily just start little and see what doesn’t aggravate that area and hopefully over time you will loosen more and more. Ice defiantly helps the rib pain but alternate between ice and heat and see what helps. (Heat helps the sore muscles are the shoulder blade) A good anti inflammatory gel as well and take Panadol and neurofen when needed. Get into your Gp as well and register this pain there is stronger anti inflammatory drugs they can give if need be.

Goodluck this can be a horrible condition but if you can try to ease your pain as much as possible it will help 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.