I don't know what form I'd copd I have.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed with copd. I suspect emphysema but don't know how to get this checked or if the symptoms are different. Does anyone know? I asked the practice nurse and she looked blank then said copd is copd.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have not been able to breath good for the last five or more years. I ended up having heart failure, but fortunately, the type of heart failure was curable. When hospitalized for heart failure in Fall 2013, they said that I had COPD. I ended up going to a Pulmonologist, who asked me if I wanted to go through a 'open lung biopsy', in which I replied no. I have heard that it is painful, and didn't want to go through with it. Update to five years later, my condition became much worse, my lung capacity stayed at 22% up until five years later, when it began dropping, fast. In about four months, it got down to about 16% lung capacity. My Pulmonologist had to estimate that I had Bronchiolitis Obliterans (small airways narrowing). She began recommending either Hospice or Lung Transplant, and I chose Lung Transplant. Four months after I had become listed for a double lung transplant, I had my call from the transplant institute. It took me three months to recover after my double lung transplant, but during that time, the Pulmonologist informed me that they did a pathological biopsy on my native lungs, and they were filled full of emphysema. I was definitely in End stage COPD, and was in the right place and at the right time, since she mentioned, that I was dying. I feel so much better now, but was only discharged Jan 10, 2018. Not too long ago, and still have to become stronger, since I am a bit weak, due to having emphysema for many years, and respiratory muscles became weak, so did diaphragm. Lately, I have been much better, and can find myself standing for much longer periods of time, than previously when I had emphysema. I can also greatly 'expand' my lungs. It is up to individual choice regarding lung transplant, but I am glad I went through with it. If you do, one advise, stay as happy and optimistic possible, while in recovery. Exercise as much possible months in advance, since our bodies take the protein out of our muscles, when in trauma's. They said my native lungs were filled with emphysema, all lobes, and I was in End stage, ready for death, I got my transplant just in time! Thank you for listening, but just wanted to emphasize that I was surprised that my lung condition was a very different type of disease than anticipated. I take full blame due to refusing open lung biopsy too. 

• Posted

When my symptoms began appearing to me, it was in the latest stage of emphysema. I didn't notice that I had a lung disease during stage one or two, but three stage, sometimes, but then overlooked it. Stage four, yes, something definitely wrong with my lungs, couldn't hardly breathe, and heart failure occurred. In other words, I may have had emphysema for about twenty years, as told by my doctor, since emphysema is slow going into stages. I quit cigarettes about twenty years ago, and left lung damage, without knowing it. It progressed to stage one, stage two, stage three, and finally stage four, during a course of about twenty years. 

• Posted

I didn't know that I had emphysema, until after transplant, stage four. Stage four thought I had Bronchilitis Obliterans, which was incorrectly diagnosed, due to me not having lung biopsy. 

• Posted

Thank you Jeannette...you are so right! Also, I just wanted to update, as you requested, and my last comment was about one and half years ago on this posting. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.