I don’t know what’s wrong

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey there, I think i have a problem but im not sure what it is, and the gastroentologist's answer doesnt seem right.

To begin, ever since i was a little boy i would experience stomach pain usually once every two weeks. I would have a terrible stomach ache while using the restroom and then lay down with a hot pad for hours until it felt better the next day. It seemed to happen that often up until i got to highschool when i experienced some terrible ones. It happened once when i was 16, where i immediately ran to the bathroom and had constant diarrhea. I was sweating, i felt goosebumps, my head was itching, and when i left the bathroom i began to black in and out. i had a few experiences like that in highschool. (probably around 5 times) Years later, the summer before my freshmen year of college i was having diarrhea and stomach pain one or two days a week, i did a food schedule and concluded that i must be lactose intolerant, and maybe it progressively worsened over the years. I was taking lactaid and everything seemed okay for about a year. Now i am a sophomore in college and things seem to have changed for the worse. Almost every morning i wake up and have terrible diarrhea, but i never really have stomach pain like i used to. It makes me feel so uncomfortable and weak. Some days i feel like everything i eat just goes right through me, which it does a lot. I went to a gastroentologist and she said its my diet, so ive been taking fiber supplements and a prescription meant for IBS. But they dont seem to be working. And i actually eat pretty healthy. For breakfast i switch between bananas, waffles, oatmeal, bacon, eggs and sausage. For lunch i eat a sandwhich -and carrots. For dinner my basic meal is Chicken broccoli and rice. I almost always have protein and veggies for dinner. If anyone knows what might be causing my frequent diarrhea please let me know! It really depresses me and makes me feel weak and lazy because i feel uncomfortable for hours afterwards. thank you.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

And it seems to happen more often if i consume any sugary products like sweet tea or cookies. Hyoscyamine is the prescription I have been taking.

• Posted

Did you get test for parasites? Blood test? endoscopy etc? And you said you get diarrhoea without any stomach pain ?

• Posted

I had to turn in stool samples for them to run tests and they all came back negative. And yes, lately the diarrhea doesn't involve stomach pain, just weird feelings in my stomach and gas.

• Posted

Hi colton06760

You seem to be having some gluten in your diet, for instance oats, waffles, bread and some sausage may contain gluten. If this is the case try using gluten free oats, waffles, bread and sausage. Try this and see if it helps....

• Posted

I have had ongoing similar issues, have you tried a pancreatic digestive enzyme? dont ask me why it works, but I went from daily diarrhea for 4 years, to almost no diarrhea at all in just 2 weeks of taking it. I still have pain and such but at least I'm digesting food.

• Posted

Just got the enzymes off of amazon. i took one with my lunch today and suffered terrible stomach pain, nausea, clammy skin, diarrhea, and almost passed out but this was 9 hours later at night. Do you think it had to do with the enzyme or is it coincidence that this happened the day i took them?

• Posted

if it was 9 hours later, it was probably unrelated, the enzymes dont last long. only for as long as you have food in your stomach. they are used up pretty fast after a meal. if it happened instantly I would think it was related, but if it happens again, I wouldn't keep taking them, it isnt worth the risk. also, do they have hcl in them? some people cannot have hcl, it aggravates their stomach, some people do better with it. I prefer without.

• Posted

Suggest you get more medical opinions from qualified physicians.

• Posted

i was planning on seeing a different gastroentologist, the one i saw was a part of a Regional Medical Center. So she probably doesn't make a great connection with the patients to really understand their problem. thanks for the input

• Posted

It sounds a lot like IBS which can come on with stress. Ask your your doctor for a different medication; you may have to try several. I had to do this with my IBS because my doctor prescribed me something that made me worse. Try a food diary or the Low Fodmap Diet.

• Posted

i will try this, thank you! I thought I was experiencing IBS and still think it might be the problem but the doctor i visited was quick to shoe it away. I'll go to a better one and try the diary as well

• Posted

Your doctor will want to run tests to rule out other conditions first. If they are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.