I don't know what's wrong with me

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello and thank you for reading this: in March of this year I got dizzy out of nowhere and it felt like I lost my breath. My friend said I turned pale when it happened. About 2 weeks afterwards I was laying on my couch and my heart started to beat really fast, and I felt more aware of my heart beat. I felt like I was going to die, panic running through my body, etc. So I drove myself to the hospital and they ran an EKG on me and it came back fine. They take me back and did blood work and they came back too. So they ruled it as an anxiety attack. Ever since then I have felt more aware of my heart beat, and occasionally I feel like my heart makes a harder beat and it freaks me out. Every time I drink coffee or an energy drink I feel very on edge and anxious. And after drinking a caffeine-filled drink, I have chest discomfort and i feel a burp is stuck in my esophagus. When I lay down, it gets a little harder to breathe and the discomfort is there too. So I have to get up and walk around in order for that feeling to go away. I'm a 21 year old male who goes to the gym on a regular basis and I do not smoke and occasionally drink. Please someone give me some advice as to what you think it is and what I should do. I don't want to go to the hospital or doctors again if I'm just overreacting.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Your problem is simple to solve. Stay away from coffee, energy drinks, caffiene drinks. Simple. Seems to me your body is trying to tell your something. "my anxiety is caused by caffeine". Good luck

• Posted

For a start, NO MORE ENERGY DRINKS or EXTRA STRONG CAFFEINE, incl GUARANA.

?You are sensitive to them, as I am, and they give you lots of odd extra beats, which is scary, and could cause damage to your heart.

?The next time you visit you Dr, have a talk with him about the ENERGY DRINKS causing you problems and extra heart beats, it is a known issue, I do not go there any more, avoid these drinks now.

?When you heart beats a couple of time very fast, you blood doesn't have time to refill your heart, before the heart pumps again, do you wonder why you get breathless, as your system just does not have time to pick up and exchange oxygen and get rid of CO2 across your lungs. 

?Do you have a fit bit, you can record what is normal and then what is abnormal and download to you computer, do a printout and take that to you Dr, but the cardiologist Dr's are going to want to re-produce the reaction in their tests, so you have to be very honest with them.

• Posted

Thank you I didn't think about that. I'll take your advice

• Posted

Hi Kaleb, don’t get scared out of these strong heart beats. It is simply anxiety and I’m pretty sure you are caffeine sensitive just like me. I went through the same thing you did, as time went by i noticed i would get strong heart beats if i drank soda. One day my boyfriend bought me a monster energy drink because I needed to get an essay done that was due soon but i was tired, so i drank the energy drink and oh man it was hell for me the rest of the day and including the next morning. My heart was beating a little harder then usual. I came to the conclusion i was very sensitive to caffeine. Ever since then I do not consume anything with caffeine. I switched to water and juice only. Now I don’t have that problem anymore. I also have anxiety problems, i mentioned it to my doctor because about a year ago, my mom was trying to take off an earring that was stuck to my ear and i guess that was enough to get me anxious and all of a sudden my I️ started seeing black circles and the room started to tilt and that’s when i told my mom woah i think I am about to faint, also I panicked so that did not help. My face became pale and my ears started to hear a riniging sound. Later i got diagnosed with anemia. That’s why i get anxiety easily. Your sysmptoms sound very similar to mine. Over all just avoid caffeine and take deep breaths when u get anxiety. Don’t worry you are not alone. 
    • Posted

Thank you very much madam. I'm glad someone finally understands.

• Posted

So you can grow a sensitivity to caffeine after an anxiety attack? Because before that I wasn't sensitive to it

• Posted

I am not sure what  makes us sensitive to caffeine but I guess our body’s change. I recently became highly sensitive to caffeine last year when I was 18 now I’m 19. I guess our bodies changed and get tired of some things and choose to reject it. It is weird how our bodies don’t want things like that anymore but I don’t mind it. I wasn’t a big soda or coffee person either way. The reason your doctors couldn’t find anything wrong with you is because it is simply anxiety and low tolerance to caffeine. 
  • Posted

Also, if your are taking any new medications or vitamin supplements that could have been a possible reason for your panic attack. I did herbal life once and it made me feel bad. 

• Posted

I know it's been a minute, but thank you for speaking with me and giving advice smile I hope all is well

• Posted

Hello, I hope you are feeling better today. Please have it check out with your doctor like have it follow. I have premature ventricular beats so sometimes I have a sudden rise in my heartbeat and it's a scary feeling. Have yours check ok and let us know what happen in the meantime try to relax and enjoy each and everyday im here if you need someone to hear you out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.