I don't know what's wrong with me, PLEASE HELP.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm trying to make sense of this, but it's slowly killing me.  I was living in Thailand and then backpacking in Asia for a couple months.  I was fine until one day I suddenly got sick with some kind of bacterial infection - they said it was strep throat.  Anyways it went away after antibiotics and 2 weeks.  I felt a little better the next day and kept going but then I started having other problems that I never had before which started with heartburn and then I started having aches in my ribs.  I was feeling full all the time, and had less energy, mental fog, etc.  I also had a lot of trouble sleeping for a few weeks when I first got home.  They found I had an H. pylori infection which I treated with antibiotics.

I've seen a GI, Infectious Disease Doc, Neurologist, and general doctors and have had lots of bloodwork done and brain MRI & CT and I still feel the same, but nothing was found wrong with me.  

Anyways, its been four months of this. I still have a lot of aches and pains in my muscles which spread out and come and go.  I have also had really bad headaches which seem better somewhat for now.  But none of that would bother me except that I feel extremely tired all the time.  I try to stay awake throughout the day and do things but I just have a complete lack of energy.  One day, I find that I have some energy and do things and feel almost okay and then the next I am completely exhausted again. I'm trying to get my life started and find a job and start driving but I'm always tired and I have convinced myself that I'm crazy and I think everyone doesn't believe me anymore and thinks I'm depressed.  I still don't feel like myself and I just feel this fogged out sensory overload fatigue all the time, have aches in my neck and upper back.  I also have trouble focusing especially in dark light.  I have muscle twitches a lot through my body.  I can deal with everything but the fatigue is just overwhelming and all I want to do is wake up.  I sleep more than 8 hours most nights and I still wake up completely unrefreshed everyday.  And I have this strange thing with my vision. I don't like to wear my glasses because I have this sensory overload type thing and it makes me feel fogged out and more tired especially when I'm moving around.  I'm just really confused and I feel really isolated and just fatigued all the time.  I just want to wake up and I feel like a zombie so much of the time lately.  Is this really anxiety or depression cause I have always had some anxiety but never felt like this before.  

I'm wondering if this is something like fibromyalgia or adrenal fatigue? I'm scheduled to see a rheumatologist in a month in a half.  I'm just frustrated with feeling like this and not having any idea why... I'm 23 years old and generally very healthy, I have been eating really well lately (normal apetite), taking vitamins, drinking only water, and it doesn't seem to have any effect.  Please help me...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear about your problems. Ok, so I believe the antibiotics might be to blame. Not only do they kill off the infection, but they also kill all the good bacteria in your gut, which are vitally important to gut health, which in turn is vitally important to your physical and mental health. Please google this for yourself if you are not sure. I've only recently found out myself how important it is. I honestly believe this might be what is wrong.

So, what I would try (and I'm doing this myself) is to start taking the following: take inulin which is a pre-biotic; take a very high dose pro-biotic (with at least five different bacterial strains in it); take a glutamine supplement which is an amino acid and vital for the lining of the gut (which can be harmed by the antibiotics). And maybe a multivitamin too while you do this. I would do all this for as long as you need to. And hopefully you will begin to feel better.

Look into what I've said...it's a real eye opener!! Best of luck X

• Posted

Have you been checked for guillione Barr's (not sure if that's spelt right) CFS or even Lyme's? I feel for you, I have ms but I'm going through a very bad spell myself but neuro says it's not my Ms. It's very frustrating but push on. Good luck ?

• Posted

Very sorry to hear your story and the only thing that I might be able to help with is the muscle twitching which I also suffer from. Have you tried taking magnesium cottage tablets? I find that they help me quite a bit.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi sweetie. Poor you! I can certainly understand your frustration and anxiety. Your symptoms seem to coincide with a condition like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It's good that you have gotten many tests to eliminate some things. I agree with one of the ladies also to check for Lyme disease. That comes from a tick. I live in Australia and not long after when I moved from Canada I contracted Ross River Virus from a mosquito bite. That is a form of Malaria. Since you were in Thailand, that could be investigated as well. I had severe fatigue for months with terrible mental fog. Visiting different parts of the world can be exciting, but we can also pick up some pretty exautic stuff. For now sweetie, listen to your body and rest as much as you can. That is the best remedy at the moment I think. Eat as healthy as you can and maybe take a multivitamin. Another lady mentioned a quality Probiotic which is a necessity after having antibiotics. It will restore 'good' bacteria in your gut and intestines. And keep yourself well hydrated drinking enough water. This thing may have to run its course so be patient with your recovery little one! Maggie xx

• Posted

Your mind set is key. The illness can make you feel frustrated and in a constant battle within your own body, however it is key to accept the pain forgive your body and realize it is simply your body letting you know it needs your love and attention. Meditation and yoga have played the largest roll in my recovery allowing the mind to settle and except what is and to live your path with the illness not against it. Negativity and frustration will only increase the stress thus the pain and prolong healing. Diet is also important however I did find omitting caffeine, sugars, alcohol, and non grass fed meats and dairy made an impact as well and going organic in produce and fruits. This too will make you feel positive about your body thus will help mind set thus positive perspective 
    • Posted

Thank you. I always try to stay positive but it's hard when you spend your days laying around because you get so tired from basic things and everyone just thinks i'm lazy or depressed. I meditate every morning and night, I stretch, I spend time outside and try and exercise every day. I have been eating really healthy - salads everyday oatmeal fruits protein, I only drink water and tea, I am vegetarian but I take b12 supplements. I feel like I try so hard to do all these extra things to be healthy and make myself feel better but I still feel this same way and it's frustrating.

• Posted

Well sweetie, don't despair. It is evident that you are taking care of yourself. I would also make sure that you don't have a Gluten intolerance as well. That can create a wide range of unpleasant symptoms including fatigue and depression. I myself am a Celiac so I can speak from experience. I am glad to hear that you are taking B12 supplements. That is a must if you are a vegetarian. And making sure that your iron is not low. That can cause weakness as well. Be kind to yourself sweetie and don't take on the attitude or criticism of other people's well meaning ignorance. Some day they may have a similar condition and learn the hard way. Just know that we here understand and feel very much for you! Take one day at a time and try to keep your mind from spiralling down with negative thoughts. Watch some comedies or something uplifting. Maggie xx

• Posted

Hi I relate to some of your symptoms. I was diagnosed with h pylori a few years ago . I started with abdominal pains and pains in my groin. I then started to get random pains down my arms in my fingers . Then my neck lymph nodes feel swollen everyday for years and come with a white coat on my tongue that I have to brush off every day. Muscle twitches followed along with involuntary movements and headaches. Now I get pains deep in the bones of my hips and constant stinging in different parts of my rib cage. Also the top of my arms get stinging sensations too and random pains in the glands of my neck everyday ..this all started three years ago and I'm still un diagnosed. Doctors just say I'm anxious / depressed it's so annoying x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.